Macbook Battery Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nathandelabrum, Jul 2, 2012.

1. nathandelabrum macrumors newbie

Hi one and all. My wife has a 2007 Macbook and approximately 6 months ago the battery stopped charging. The power cord would continually stay green but the charge level was always at 0% and as soon as the power cord was released, the MB would turn itself off. So I bought a new battery. At first the issue seemed solved, however, over time the battery started to exhibit strange features, for example, it would lose charge very quickly, dropping from 100% to less than 20% in about 10 minutes. To cut a long story short, the battery is now doing exactly what the original battery was doing; it won't charge, the light is green constantly and when the cord is removed the MB shuts down. Any ideas what the problem is? It's well out of warranty and when I was in London a few weeks ago I went to the Apple store in Covent Garden and they told me 'Probably a faulty battery', but I'm not at all convinced by this and I'm hardly going to waste money on another battery for the same thing to happen again! Here are my power details-

Battery Information:

Model Information:
    Serial Number: Apple-ASMB016-3f21-1
    Manufacturer: Apple
    Device name: ASMB016
    Pack Lot Code: 3230
    PCB Lot Code: 3430
    Firmware Version: 0000
    Hardware Revision: 0000
    Cell Revision: 0000
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 0
    Fully charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 2
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 50
    Condition: Poor
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 5468

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
    System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0
    Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 20
    Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
    Wake On AC Change: No
    Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
    Wake On LAN: Yes
    Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
    Battery Power:
    System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 5
    Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 1
    Wake On AC Change: No
    Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
    Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
    Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
    Charging: No

Thanks in advance!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's quite apparent that your battery is toast. What isn't so apparent is why? It could be a defective battery, or it could be something on your logic board is causing the batteries to die quicker than normal. I'd take it to another Apple store and explain your frustration and see if they'll take care of you.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. nathandelabrum thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree that the battery is gone, but as you allude to, I find it highly unlikely that the 2 batteries have died without another underlying problem. Logic boards seem pricey.....time for a new MB if this is the problem perhaps?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You'll have to make that call, if it turns out to be the logic board, but I'd definitely let Apple diagnose the problem first. The logic board replacement will likely run around $700.