MacBook Battery Life Woes...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mikey B, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Hi Friends,

I am wondering about my Macbook's battery and if I should contact my local Apple Store to see if I can participate in the Battery Update 1.2 recall/replacement. I just re-calibrated my battery, and feel that I have what I believe to be a very low charge capacity- 2502 mAh. A full charge seems to give me about 2 hours of battery life. i seem to remeber it last almost twice that long at first, and seeing that I should have twice that charge capacity somewhere (5000 mAh?) And I have done the battery firmware update.

I have a 1.83 cd Macbook that I bought new in December of 06. My battery health is listed as "fair" in the system profiler, and at 229 for its cycle count. I calibrated when I first brought it home, and have done so several times throughout its life. Though, probably not as often as I should have.

My question, I guess, is if I am eligible for the new battery, and if I should expect a higher charge capacity and battery time.

Thanks!

Mike

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

I think it's unlikely that you qualify for a free replacement. And a 50% (ish) battery health after over 200 charge cycles doesn't seem that out of line (though perhaps it is a bit low).

3. onebloodonelife macrumors regular

I would take it in to the Apple Store. My battery has a capacity of 5317mAh. I believe that below 80% capacity after 300 cycles is the normal capacity.

Here's the quote from Apple's page:
    Battery Lifespan

A properly maintained Apple notebook battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 300 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.

So, yeah, I'd take it in under the replacement program.

4. Mikey B thread starter macrumors 65816

Mikey B

really? If 80% at 300 cycles is the norm, I feel like I'm well below that, being at 50% at 230 cycles. NOt mention I hardly use it for very long with the battery. Between work and home, I ususally have access to an outlet.

Oh well, we shall see what they say in about 2 hours!

5. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

what was the recall? and how do you find out if you have that battery?

6. Mikey B thread starter macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Alright, just got back from the Apple Store with a new battery, courtesy of Apple. Though I was out of warranty, the recall of sprts extends the battery on certain Macbook batteries. Basically you can tell if you have one by looking at your system profile. Click power, and scroll down to your battery. If your cycle count is under 300, and your battery, when fully charged, is less than 80% of the original capacity, you qualify.

Travis, Here's the link: http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

So, if anyone is experiencing the same problem, head down to an Apple store or call AppleCare and you should get hooked up.

Interestingly, the Genius who helped me said that there was no need to calibrate macbook batteries. I asked him if I should with this one, and he replied that there was no need. That it really had no effect. Hmmm...

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Good to know that there is a determining factor. Nice find.