MacBook Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rooskibar03, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

So Santa brought me a new Black MB for xMas and thus far I'm thrilled, still trying to get used to the keys though.

Battery life seems spotty at best. Fully charged the battery time is only 2:20 and after only 15 minutes of use its down to 91% charge.

Does the battery get better with charges? Should I be concerned? Seems like Apples claim of up to 6 hours is way out in left field.

2. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

Oh, there's no way that you'll ever get 6 hours. Look for more like 3ish hours w/ regular usage if you're lucky.

W/ my 1.5 year old MBP with over 300 charge cycles I'm lucky with 2 hours.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

6hours seems to be with relatively low brightness, and no wireless on :)

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The only way you'll see 6 hours out of a Macbook is if you turn everything off, including the screen, and use your notebook as a lap warmer. Apple shamelessly lied in their battery estimates for these. Not like the iBooks, where the battery estimates could actually be reached without effectively turning off the laptop.

5. Rooskibar03 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Ill give that try as well. Per a discussion thread on Apple.com support page I just removed the Battery Update 1.3. Seems its a MBP update that Leopard installs.

Yanked that out, rebooted and the time remaining went from just under two hours to a little over 4.

I always tell people everything is easier on a Mac, I guess that goes for trouble shooting as well.

6. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

I just got a MBP with Leopard installed, and I want to know of a good battery application I should download to tell me my battery info. I've heard that coconutbattery wont work well with Leopard, so what are the others available?

7. Yesterday macrumors newbie

i personally get 6 hrs easily after 60 cycles w/ low brightness but with wireless on...here are my stats on the battery.

[​IMG]

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

There's a widget known as iStat Pro. Coconut is better, but as you've noticed, it doesn't always play nicely with Leopard (as has happened on my mbp).
    15 minutes used 9%, or was the battery less than 100% when you unplugged it? I ask because there is a built-in restriction on automatic recharging. If your battery is above 95% at the time you put it back onto AC, it will not charge. This is meant to prevent repeated cycles from building up on your battery, so keep this mind.

If the battery was at 100%, then I have to ask what you were running. 9% is usually a good 25-30 minutes on my macbook pro if I'm running Safari+Word and maybe a few smaller apps (like Stickies or a card game) and have BT turned off. Since the mbp has a slightly shorter battery life, I'm surprised your macbook is eating up so much power.

Again, this all depends on what you're doing exactly, but 2:20 is not normal for a macbook. Granted it's not 6 hours like Apple says, but you should be in the neighborhood of 4 hours.

The battery won't get any better than it is now.
    The 6 hour "estimate" is really quite bogus and Apple is really laying on the marketing scheme thick here, so feel free to ignore that. However, 4 hours is pretty normal like I mentioned, but this all depends on what you're running with it.

BTW, check out the guide on this. :)