macbook battery lifetime

Discussion in 'macOS' started by last22, Oct 10, 2007.

1. last22 macrumors newbie

i ve heard that if i want to exent my battery's lifetime, all i have to do is when i use my macbook at home, to extract the battery and use it plugged. so i will charge less times the battery.
    i called the shop where i bought the macbook and they told me that this is not true. A battery's lifetime starts when u first charge it and it doesn't matter if u charge it 100 or 1 times. Its lifetime will remain the same.
    i don't know what to do with my macbook.
    any ideas? what have u been doing and how long does your battery lives?

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Not too sure, but logically the battery should last longer if it's not in use (i.e. laptop being run off the mains power with the battery removed) ... :)

p.s.
    I hope I'm right.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

pretty much what ive learned about laptop batteries from researching and reading a lot of macrumors threads and apple support discussions is to stop thinking and worrying about it.

when your using it at home just leave the magsafe plugged in and every now again, say every 1 to 2 weeks unplug it and use around the house or calibrate the battery every month. but whatever you do, dont drain the battery every time you use it. this is wat kills the battery over time.

i leave my laptop plugged in about 80% of the time and its battery health is around 98% (now 100% after the battery update) and ive had it for about 6 months with 35 charge cycles. if you leave the macbook plugged in while fully charged it trickle charges, slowly going down to 98% and then back up to 100% so you dont have to worry about leaving it plugged in all the time.

whatever you do dont take out the battery when using it plugged in because if the magsafe is knocked out youll loose all your work. also my macbook pro core duo goes down to 1 ghz when the battery is out.