MacBook Battery Not Charging, free replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mrrippey, Apr 11, 2009.

1. mrrippey macrumors regular

I gave my wife my Late 2006 white MacBook which she loves. Recently, the battery has stopped charging (it has 250 cycles or something like that). Is it far fetched to goto an apple store and ask for a replacement or should I just get a new one. I have only had this laptop for a year and I would think that is kinda short.

I am not under AppleCare BTW.

Any thoughts?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

As it's 2006 model, which means 3 years of use, I'd say it's done pretty good for itself to be honest...

I very much doubt Apple will give you a replacement, you will have to buy a new battery.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You could check your cycle count, but if you've had it three years, it's probably done for. And batteries, like tires on a car, aren't covered under ANY computer manufacturer's warranty (that goes for Macs and PCs).

Go to Apple menu > About this Mac. Click "More Info" to pull up the System Profiler. When it comes up, click the "Power" option in the sidebar. Look at the "Cycle Count" of your battery. If it's over 300, it's time to get a new one.

4. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

249 cycles

I guess I will just go buy here a new battery. I am thinking did I get this MacBook two years ago (I probably did).

Thanks!!!

5. boblovejoy macrumors newbie

Take it to the genius bar. I was there and the genius told the person next to me with a dead battery that it was cheaper from the bar if they have the part. who knows you might catch him/her on a good day and might give it to you.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you can't get a replacement, you can always try sticking it in a ziplock baggie and letting it sit in your freezer for a couple of days. Let it thaw completely and see if it will take a charge then.

7. TheScavenger macrumors regular

There is a very small chance that Apple will replace it . It is EOL. Whats the serial number of the MacBook?

8. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

clyle2801, I will try that (the zip lock bag thing)

4H706VW3WGL

9. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

Model: - MacBook (13-inch Late 2006)

Codename: - ?

Build Country: - Your Mac was built in China.

Build Year: - Your Mac was built in 2007.

Build Week - Your Mac was built in week 6 of that year (February).

Production Nr.: - Your Mac was number 2995 to be built that week.

Here is your info...

10. Philgr macrumors regular

Sorry to jump here :(

Just returned from holiday fired up the macbook and the battery is dead only 150 cycles, laptop purchased 11/03/08

What do you think about my chances of a free replacement ??

Thanks in advance

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you have under 300 cycles and less than 80% (or no charge at all), it pays to take a chance and ask Apple even if you don't have AppleCare. Some people have managed to get replacements for free.

12. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Apple will always replace a batter if it has less than 150 cycles on it and is holding less than 80% of it's charge, as long as it is with in the first year of warranty. After the first year, they technically do no have to replace for free as it is not covered under the apple care. I have personally gotten 3 batteries replaced after about 2 years with no charge. Mostly this was because the cycle count was under 100 and it died with in 45 minutes. However, what I have learned is always try at the apple store. The genius' are very giving sometimes.

13. Philgr macrumors regular

mmmm, the nearest apple store is over 150 miles away, might give it a go this weekend otherwise its £100 for a new one as far as i can tell

Is there anyway of getting on the phone to try to get a replacement ??

info from my macbook

[​IMG]

Cheers

14. secondfox macrumors member

secondfox

I had a battery die on me, and I'm pretty sure that it was past the first year of use. Then again I have a first gen MacBook and all kinds of stuff went wrong with those. But it's always worth asking. Apple has replaced lots of stuff for me :D. Power cord, palm rest x2, battery, hard drive, optical drive, and mouse button. Hooray for warranties!

15. yaroldb macrumors 6502

I'd try calling Applecare. I had a rev A macbook and the battery was a know problem. I'm not sure if they'll swap it after 3 years but the worst they can say is no. Either way, 3 years is far better than I ever got with my PC laptop. It seemed like I was changing batteries every year. My Macbook is 3 years old in June and I still have 100% battery life on it.

16. Philgr macrumors regular

Just off the phone from apple care, very good result i now have new battery on its way free of charge

very happy Bunny :cool:

17. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

148 cycles, 83%, sweet... :p

18. johnny13oi macrumors member

Wow that sounds like a lot of things were replaced. The parts must be terrible quality for that many replacements to occur.

19. maz94protege macrumors member

my battery finally died at 527 load cycles, and i still had 14% of battery left. LOL.

Found on ebay a brand new OEM Apple battery for $62.95 shipped. Just got it yesterday and im glad im back in the game with a good battery.

Apple told me within the first year they will replace your battery if it dies, after that, they wont.

20. bisbsc01 macrumors newbie

Macbook Late 2006 Battery and Top case Replaced

I have a late 2006 macbook core duo and my battery died on me last month. i brought it into the genius bar and they tested my battery and said they could replaced it for me for free. i do not have applecare and my battery had 270 some cycles on it, not to mention it is over three years old. After i said OK, he also said that he "saw that the lower section of my case was cracked (where the screen comes into contact with the lower case) and that he could fix that for free as well. I walked out of the store with a brand new battery, as well as a brand new keyboard, trackpad, and top case (apparently it is an all in one replacement part) without paying a penny. :)