Macbook Battery Problem....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pdechavez, Dec 29, 2007.

1. pdechavez macrumors regular

I havent calibrated my battery for a while, after 323 cycles,i get a maximum of 3:30 hours on my laptop...after recalibrating for the FIRST time last nyt since a couple of months, im getting terrible results like a maximum 1 hour battery only....is this normal when not calibrating for a long time? from 3hours to 1 hour? what should i do next? ordering a battery takes 2 weeks to deliver to where i am now.... any help wud be appreciated...

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Any deterioration should normally be gradual. I'd be inclined to run the machine until the battery goes flat, followed buy a full recharge two or three times in a row. The battery may then start showing a reasonable charge time.

The real question is - regardless of how much run time the battery meter shows, how long is it actually lasting?

3. pdechavez thread starter macrumors regular

last nyt,before calibrating, it actually lasted 3:30 hours...and then after calibrating, it shows 1 hour...i'l use it now and see what happens...thnx tho

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ok, do me a favor, please write clearer. :eek:

Secondly, if I understand your posts correctly, the estimate indicates ~1 hour remains but it actually lasts for 3:30? Is that right?

5. pdechavez thread starter macrumors regular

before the calibration, it lasted for 3:30 and after the calibration, its now currently lasting for 1 hour...i want to know if this is normal on the first calibration process

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

So realtime battery life has dropped to an hour? That shouldn't happen because of calibration. Calibration will only display accurate information regarding battery health and drain times. It will not affect the "health" of your battery.

Try charging it up again and use a stopwatch/external clock to determine a more exact time. Also, make sure you're running the exact same apps at roughly the same screen brightness.

7. pdechavez thread starter macrumors regular

my battery according to the system information shows "Fair" unlike last night it sed it was in "Good" Condition....I kinda regret calibrating now...im discharging it tonyt for the 2nd time and hoping it wud come back to its normal state....how many cycles does a battery have to go thru before it reaches a situation like mine?

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Batteries can normally go through 300 cycles and retain 80% of their maximum charge. Since you're beyond this, I have no idea how good the quality should be, but my best guess is that it shouldn't degrade too rapidly all at once. The process should be gradual, albeit at an accelerated pace.

9. pdechavez thread starter macrumors regular

true...ive reached 323 cycles but yea...i dunno y it degraded so quickly...cud it be a faulty battery? Or shud i just wait till i recharge it again coz my guess is dat the battery is going under the process or catching up...i mean, it is weird tht after calibrating, the battery immediately lost 80% of its full capacity...

10. aquajet macrumors 68020

Please clarify -- did you manually measure your runtime using a clock? Or are you going by how much time remaining your computer reports to you? The only thing which really matters here is the actual runtime, not what the computer tells you. If you're basing your numbers on what the computer is reporting, then be aware that you haven't lost anything because the computer's estimate was incorrect to begin with.

CalBoy is right. With lithium ion batteries, calibration isn't going to affect your actual runtime in any way, which is why calibrating several times in a row as previously suggested is a waste of time.

11. pdechavez thread starter macrumors regular

well, ive timed it and it actually ran at 1 hour and 18 minutes....AFTER calibration...if calibration is a waste of time..then why did this happen to my battery? it used to be 3 hours at least BEFORE calibration...

12. aquajet macrumors 68020

All else being the same, I don't have an answer to that question because it shouldn't happen. When's the last time you actually timed it at 3 hours runtime?

13. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

My battery did the same thing once. When you calibrate are you letting the battery completely die? Dont just let it go to sleep. I find that if you dont let it sit for 5hrs+ sleeping, until it has NO juice at all, it worsens the battery. Let it die til the white light is no longer on, and then charge it alllll night. Dont use it durring this time. Try this ( unless you already have) and see what happens.

good luck

14. pdechavez thread starter macrumors regular

ive done that but how many times shud i? ive dont it twice now and charge it everytime it goes to sleep on its own....the funny thing is...the health readings (according to iStat Pro) is jumping from 53% to 80% and is now 52%....any info on this?

15. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

I have the same issue. My battery health jumps from 80% to 90% down to 30% in the span of an hour while using it without the adapter. I've had way too many experiences where it'll go from 80% health down to 10% and die in a matter of moments. Calibration doesn't really do anything, I've discovered. So I've just learnt not to use it off battery power and simply keep it plugged in all the time.

Oh, and I only have 242 cycles on it in a year and a half.

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I believe that means you're deserving of a new battery. Call Apple and tell them what's going.

17. ZenErik macrumors 6502

Not to get off topic, but people are actually a lot more willing to help someone on a forum who types coherently. Every time I see "shud", "cud", and 4+ ellipses per post, it pains me.

My MacBook jumps in the range of 97% - 100% health, but it has only been through 44 cycles. If you're getting huge jumps in battery health, you may have a problem. Talk to the folks at Apple about it!