Macbook battery problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mikec521, Jul 8, 2009.

1. mikec521 macrumors newbie

I got a black macbook for graduation in june of 08. I spilt water on it in july of that year=/

i havnt turned it on until today, i turned it on and to my surprise it turned on but i heard beep beep beep (pause) beep beep beep. so i looked online and it said it could be the memory, so i got that taken care of.

the macbook is now on and fully functional except one thing, the macbook doesnt recognize the battery, it has an x. i looked on the apple website and did every step they had listed to try and fix it and the battery is still not recoginized. when i press the button , no green lights light up to tell me the level of power in it either, but it didnt turn green when i shifted the battery a certain way, but it went away instantly and i cant get it back !

so what im asking is, should i buy a new battery? or is it most likely damage to the macbook from the spill?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Given that you had the spill, there is no real way to tell. i would find someone with a MacBook who's battery you could test, possibly even go to the Apple store and just ask for that simple favor?

3. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

4. tallguy macrumors regular

You hadn't turned on your macbook for a year?

5. mikec521 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. weekendsrule32 macrumors member

My guess would be that the battery is dead, as it is not recognized nor will show you its power state. Is it charged? May want to leave it plugged in for a while as it was left idle for a year. Just a thought.

7. Neo-Tech macrumors regular

Since it's a MacBook from last year, it has the replacement battery. I suggest you try another battery in your MacBook and see if it works properly (charges, indicators, etc) then buy a new battery for that model. Also, since you mentioned you spilled water on it, I wouldn't trust leaving your important data on there, it could pack up any time. Better to be safe than sorry, eh? :rolleyes:

8. mikec521 thread starter macrumors newbie

my cousin has a white macbook, would her battery work in mine? just to test it.

9. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Either that model had one of the faulty batteries (I don't imagine so) or the battery is so discharged that it died, and for some reason after that, maybe due to a short, is completely non functioning. Batteries die over time, even when not in use.

After that, there is a small possibility that the logic board/battery connector is damaged, and the computer won't read any battery that is placed into it (results of water damage can never be predicted). The only way to check that is to plug in another, known working battery from someone elses MacBook (since they cost $129, it would suck to spend that and find out it doesn't work).

10. woolwit macrumors newbie

MacBook Battery Problem

Especially with the X showing... I would recommend a trip over to MacBookBatteryProblem.com for some background and links to useful diagnostics and possibly even a 'getting a replacement from Apple' strategy that could work for you (check the blog MacBookBatteryProblem.com/blog).
    Best,
    ww