Macbook battery problems

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tawcnysc, Oct 1, 2010.

1. tawcnysc macrumors newbie

My macbook drained fully and i managed to resurrect it only to spill water over it leading to the magsafe light going faint and the laptop not booting at all draining the battery again after a few days in an airing cupboard the laptop started with the magsafe connected but the battery was dead with an X in the battery symbol.

I have now brought an unofficial replacement battery but the macbook does not recognise it still reporting no battery present but when the macbook lid is shut it uses power from the battery to keep it asleep but will not wake with out the magsafe.

should i just stop being cheap and buy an official battery or is there a hardware/software problem with my macbook

any help is appreciated

Tom

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would never trust a battery that didn't come from Apple.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You probably have more problems than just a bad battery.

4. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

what battery did you buy? i have heard success stories from many third party batter vendors. If the company you bought it from is worth their salt they should replace it and or provide some support.

5. tawcnysc thread starter macrumors newbie

it seems that it is not the battery that's the issue, I took the macbook into a mac shop and tried a battery from another machine but that was not recognised either.

i've tried resetting the PMU and the PRAM with no results which makes me think it must be a hardware problem but i did not see anything obvious when i looked inside the case

6. Thrnarg macrumors newbie

If it a white (or black) non unibody Macbook the battery connector is prone to being damaged. They are replacable although if your unlucky the logic board may well be affected to.

Best bet, take it to a service centre.

7. printershopper macrumors newbie

I think for this problem Apple has released a firmware update for those Intel-based Mac laptops. According to Apple's website describing the battery update (available both via the web and Software Update), you can identify an affected battery because it will have "one or more of the following symptoms":