MacBook Battery Problems.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ItsTime, Mar 2, 2010.

1. ItsTime macrumors newbie

I have seen this a lot on the internet when i have been doing research but i would like a new opinion please as some sights and threads are a few years old.

Firstly i have a MacBook 10.4.11 that is somewhere between 2 and 3 years old. I have had no problems with the Mac up until yesterday. Yesterday i was charging my Mac and everything was fine but i noticed that the MagSafe Adapter was lit up Green, even when unplugged from my Mac. I shrugged it off until this morning when i realised that when i unplug my adapter the Mac just turns off and won't turn back on until i plug the adapter back in. I have seen different threads about it being a battery problem or a charger problem but i am not sure where to start as most of the threads say that their Battery Icon on the Mac screen has a black "X" through it. Mine just has the Forks in the battery icon and where it would have a Time or % of what is left in the Battery, it just has a (Calculating...) and when i click to see how much it has charged, it says 0%

I also downloaded Coconut Battery and here is what it says:

Current Battery Charge: 0 mAh
    Maximum Battery Charge : 5093 mAh

0%

Current Battery Capacity: 5093 mAh
    Original Battery Capacity: 5020 mAg

100%

Can anyone shed some light on my situation, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

Almost certainly your Magsafe has blown up, mine did.

Do About This Mac > More Info > Power
    Under battery condition it should say "normal". If it says "check battery" your battery is dead.

When you plug the Magsafe in, wait a few minutes. Then the AC Charger info at the bottom of the page should change to Connected - Yes Charging - Yes.

You may have to wait a few minutes from when you plug in, it doesn't always start charging right away. Also you will need to refresh the page using cmd-R.

When you plug it in and it says "charging - Yes" the battery info should show Amperage - and a positive number between 1500 and 200 mA depending on how long it's been charging.

Luckily the Magsafe is much cheaper than a new battery!