MacBook Battery Question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacGeek7, Jun 13, 2008.

1. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

hello all - I just wondering if owning AppleCare will let you get your MacBook battery replaced for free after it starts to lose the ability to hold it's charge or is it something I have to pay for even though I own AppleCare.
    Thanks!

2. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Batteries are not normally covered unless theres some kind of a special recall
    or if you JUST bought it new recently.

3. MacGeek7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

That's what I was afraid of...

4. Bwilky macrumors regular

Its the same with every company. Mac batteries tend to be quite good though.

5. kauthor macrumors newbie

Well, it is not good in this case.

Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 3304
    Fully charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 3340

Health Information:
    Cycle count: 197
    Condition: Check battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 12527

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

One of these days I am going to bookmark this link, so I don't have to go searching for it every time I see someone with MacBook or MacBook Pro battery issues.

There is a two year extended warranty on the MacBook Batteries that don't hold a charge. I had two of them replaced after the warranty ran out and without Applecare. I just called them and told them that the batteries didn't hold a charge, and gave them the cycle count. They even replaced one that was over 300, even though is isn't covered with the update:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

I hope this helps!

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

OP, give AppleCare or Apple Support a call, or just get to the nearest Apple Store. You shouldn't have a problem. Not sure what you meant by "That's what I was afraid of?" :confused:

8. trishw2006 macrumors newbie

I went to an apple store to get my old battery looked at and now I wish I had called. Because they had there "in-store" technician look at the battery and talk to apple, I didn't get to hear the direct reason for not replacing my battery. I had to purchase a new battery, and I wasn't even able to keep the old one to try and get it replaced still. Just a little information, take it or leave it :)

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

That stinks. I went to an "Authorized Dealer" first, and they wanted to keep my MacBook and diagnose the issue. I showed them the info on the Battery update, but they wouldn't budge.

I told them to forget, it and called Apple. They had two batteries (for two computers) in my hands before the other guy said he would be able to diagnose the issue.

I have had excellent luck working with Apple over the phone, and through the "self diagnosis" web pages for iPod/iPhone issues. Sometimes I think you get less grief that way.

10. jacytan macrumors newbie

hi there,

i have the same problem right now with my macbook battery.
    i am from the Philippines and i was wondering if i could possibly call Apple from here and get a replacement for my battery as well?
    my macbook isn't more than a year old yet and it is still under warranty.
    if i go to an Apple Store where i bought the macbook, they might treat me the same way as trishw2006 was treated.

are you all located in the US?

11. raremage macrumors 6502a

I don't understand one thing here: If you bought a new battery, why couldn't you keep the old battery...?