Macbook battery repair- Is it possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by theironist08, Jan 20, 2011.

1. theironist08 macrumors regular

I have 2 broken macbook batteries. One is the original macbook battery and one is a replacement. BOTH broke the exact same way, just thought I'd warn some of you guys.. here's what seems to happen..

The first battery was in fairness 3 years old (original). Never had any problems at all but, it had about 70% charge and was left on sleep for about 5 weeks and obviously the battery ran out. However, once I turned the macbook on again, with power supply connected, the battery condition was 'replace now' or 'not charging'.

Second battery was a replacement, only about 4 months old. Had nearly full charge, was put on sleep and about 2 weeks later, it was dead and 'not charging' was the battery status, before 'replace now' was shown.

Has anyone else experienced this? Also are these batteries repairable? Would be nice having spares that worked.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. theironist08 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any places that DO repair them, do you know?

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If the first battery was 3 years old, it's probably one of the poly MacBooks, so it is user replaceable.

Is the replacement battery an official apple battery? If so, those have a 1 year warranty and they will replace it if you can show it didn't die from excessive use/improper use or if your apple genius is one of the nicer ones.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Given that repair would involve significant labour and replacement of cells, it would be kinda pointless. Cheaper to buy a new battery - I've bought third-party replacements for older machines on occasion - usually significantly cheaper than the genuine Apple part and work just fine.

However, if your new battery has died that quickly, Apple will probably replace it.

6. theironist08 thread starter macrumors regular

The first one is ''user replaceable'', do you mean it can be repaired?

No, the second one was not an official apple battery. also we have no apple genius' in Ireland unfortunately!!

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, Apple doesn't repair batteries. Dead batteries should be disposed of properly. They aren't repairable.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I have had nothing but good experiences with a company called MacBookAdapter. They sell batteries and power adapters. I bought two chargers from them. When one failed about 2 months after purchase, I emailed the owner of the company and he sent me a reply about 5 minutes later (and this was at 1am MST!). He told me he would send me out a new one in the morning.

tl,dr: Buy a battery from MacBookAdapter. If the battery fails within a year of purchase, they will send you a new one, no questions asked!