Macbook battery/sleep mode questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Ok, so I finally made the leap and switched to Mac! <insert applause here> but don't be thinking I'm just one of the lame-o's jumping on the bandwagon with everyone else the last few months. I've been "getting one soon" for over a year now....

Anyways, so I got the midlevel macbook! I just had a few questions with the battery life or, more specifically, the sleep mode.

First of all, what is the average battery life of a macbook?

Secondly, I heard that if you leave a laptop plugged in a lot it kills the battery quite quickly. Is this true?

Thirdly, what are the pros/cons vs leaving your macbook in sleep mode overnight and turning it off?

Fourthly, what is the energy consumption while in sleep mode? Like if constantly plugging in the macbook kills the battery would it be a good idea to unplug my macbook at night and just put it in sleep mode? Or would the battery be nearly drained by the morning?

Basically, I'm just looking for tips on how to keep my battery healthy. And also seeing if I ever have to actually turn off my macbook. I guess I care a bit about energy consumption as well... but I'm American so that's last priority overall. :rolleyes:

2. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Average battery life is about 3 hours depending on what you are doing. If you are watching a DVD on your Macbook, less. If you are casually browsing and reading/writing e-mail, more.

About leaving machine plugged in, it is true. The best treatment of any laptop battery is to use it all up and then charge it all the way up. Full cycles. If you leave it plugged in 30% of the total time, I doubt it would be a problem.

I leave my machine in sleep mode every night, unplugged from the AC converter. The battery is usually about 3 -5% less full in the morning. It saves a lot of time in booting. I don't care about any ill affect on the battery, I like being able to open the lid and begin working instantly. I doubt this has any ill effect on the battery.

3. geissap macrumors member

Dead on!...I have nothing to add.

4. AppleNinja macrumors member

AppleNinja

i agree with all but the second one... i have heard that once your fully charged that battery is left alone and its just outlet power thats running your labtop preserving the battery.. thats is just what i have heard does anyone else know for 100% sure?

5. iMan G5 macrumors member

Do you mean leaving the battery in at 100%? If so, the battery will discharge/recharge when the adaptor is plugged in. Adaptor out just drains the battery, but with the adaptor, the MB takes some battery and then it gets recharged.

6. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Oh, and I have one more question on sleep mode. Is it physically draining at all on your mac to enter and exit sleep mode? Like for example say that I was excessively prudent on keeping battery power so whenever I leave the room for just 30 seconds I put it in sleep mode. Imagine that if I did that every time I left the room it could add up to about 100 times a day.

Like I said I understand that this example is excessive and it probably wouldn't save the battery all that much, but the general concept is there. Does it wear out your mac at all do go in and out of sleep mode?

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

My advice has always been to use your machine in whichever way is convenient for you. Many people worry about this subject far too much. But your statement is certainly not true. Frequent deep discharges tend to wear out a lithium ion battery faster.