Macbook Battery Status Not Updating

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kylehaubold, Dec 24, 2010.

1. kylehaubold macrumors newbie

Since updating to 10.6.5, my macbook battery status doesn't update when the status changes. Right now, power adapter is unplugged yet it says 'Charged' and shows the adapter plugged in icon. Here's my info:

Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 5065
    Fully charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 5065
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 130
    Condition: Normal
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 18
    Voltage (mV): 12605

Mac OS X 10.6.5 (10H574)
    Macbook 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo

Restarting the computer in this state DOES cause it to show the actual (calculated) battery remaining. Then plugging the charger back in causes it to show how much time remaining on the charge (it is behaving correctly after restart). But, when it gets back to fully charged, the status stops updating from that point on. Everything I can see says the battery is fine, right? Could this have anything to do with the most recent 10.6.5 update? It's the only change I've made to the computer recently. Thanks for the help.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. kylehaubold thread starter macrumors newbie

Calibration

Yes, calibrated it about a week ago.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Many people misunderstand the correct calibration procedure. Did you follow the procedure in the link I posted? If so, you might also reset the SMC (instructions also in the link.)

5. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

yeah for sure. Try resetting the SMC. If that doesn't work, you might have to whine at your warranty provider haha

6. kylehaubold thread starter macrumors newbie

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you reset the SMC?

8. kylehaubold thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

So I have had this problem multiple times now. After the post, I restarted the computer and it behaved normally. I fully charged it again and then removed the adapter and it behaved as it should. So the results are clearly not very repeatable. I think I will wait to see if it returns again and then try resetting the SMC? I just don't know what to do. It comes up enough where it is annoying but maybe it's not that bad of a problem in the grand scheme of things...