Macbook Battery went from ~80% capacity to 22% in a few weeks.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HenryHill, Nov 10, 2011.

1. HenryHill macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook 2,1 model. It is old and the battery has kept up very well until recently. A few weeks ago my regular magsafe would not work anymore. I bought a replacement and it also would not work. The only magsafes that work to charge my computer are the ones with the new tips ( the metal tips ) . So I have one of those now. A few weeks ago my capacity on my battery was around 80 percent. Now its 22 percent... Anyone know what could be going on?

Here is a picture of Coconut battery. It was at 89% just 6 months ago, and around 80% less than 3 weeks ago. I am guessing something about the power/magsafe issue I had 2 weeks ago is involved? I know its an old battery, but the drastic change in capacity over 2 weeks is insane...

[​IMG]

2. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

You have over 2000 cycles already! That battery should have been dead 1,200 cycles or more ago.

3. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I would suggest you get a new battery... It'll last about the same amount of time the last one you had did. They have them on Amazon.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Definitely time for a new battery. You got better than average life out of it! I would recommend only an Apple battery.... no 3rd party knock-offs. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

This is fairly normal for a battery. They may slowly decline in capacity over a long period of time, or they may work just fine and then die all at once. There's almost no predicting how they will go. Personally, I've had batteries do both.

Once I had a battery in an IBM ThinkPad get to 0% capacity (not health, I was just running it down) and then it stayed on for another hour...

6. HenryHill thread starter macrumors newbie

The battery is COMPLETELY dead now and wont even be recognized. When it gets recognized ( after removing it and putting it back in a bunch of times ) It stays at zero, wont charge, then goes back to not being recognized..

I ordered a new battery, but do you guys think that my macbook might have a problem with its internal power supply that broke my magasafe then my battery?

7. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

The only way you would know if something was wrong with the internal power supply was if you installed the new battery and it wasn't recognized.. until then we won't know.

8. HenryHill thread starter macrumors newbie

So I bought a new Apple Battery. FIrst day it was at 101% charge. Today:

[​IMG]

90% at two cycles. Shoudl I wait a month and see how it plays out ? Or is there something definitely wrong with my internal supply that is doing this to batteries?

Is that normal for it to be 90% after 1 day?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't call 90% normal, but a quick drop in the first few cycles is certainly to be expected. Try resetting the SMC, then calibrating the battery using the procedure in the Battery FAQ I posted earlier.

10. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

That is exactly what happened to my knockoff battery!! I bought it from focalprice.com and when I first put it into the macbook it said 100% capacity. After doing the calibration that apple recommends it dropped the capacity to 89%!

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Calibration doesn't change the capacity. It only makes your readings more accurate. If it showed 89% after calibration, that means that before calibration, the capacity was 89%, but was being inaccurately reported as 100%.