Macbook battery won't charge now

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by engineer04ue, Jan 21, 2009.

1. engineer04ue macrumors newbie

The battery in my Macbook seemed to be perfectly fine until the other night when I placed it on the charger. I had the notebook off the charger for awhile, so the battery seemed to have ran low enough that it was stuck in sleep mode; I had to plug it in to use it. After plugging in to the charger, it showed that the charger was indeed plugged but also showed that it was not charging when I clicked on the battery icon on the bar. Since then, it continues to do the same, and I cannot use the computer unless I have it plugged into the charger.

What I've tried so far:
    -Performed the SMC reset that many seem to recommend
    -Performed PMU reset
    -Installed the Battery Update that Apple released to treat these issues
    -Pulled out battery, and once that is out, it shows an 'X' on the icon and also notes that battery is not installed... so it seems to distinguish between the battery being there vs. not. When the battery is installed, it shows 0% instead and also notes that the battery is not charging.

Following that, I've called Apple who had me send my information in System Profiler, and after looking at it claims that I have a bad battery. Of course, they will not replace the battery at their cost due to the number of cycles I have on the battery (350) as well as the age (about 22 months on it). I'm just wanting to make sure that it is the battery and not a logic board issue.... I just wonder if they are diagnosing this enough to ensure that is the problem. I guess that I expected I would see the battery to start degrading before it was shot, but I was getting close to the same performance as I did when I bought just the day before this happened.

I don't mind so much buying a new battery, but won't be so happy if I do that then find out that wasn't the problem. Any advice or further things to check first? Unfortunately, I'm about 2.5 hours from the closest Apple store.

2. danvan21 macrumors regular

Similar thing for me. 300 cycles is what they say it will last too. I went to the apple store and they told me it was dead and to buy a new one. I went on ebay and found a ton for around $80. I wouldnt buy a new one from apple. Check ebay first.