MacBook battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by podevil22, Oct 20, 2012.

1. podevil22 macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new battery for my three year old MacBook. I read in the FAQ section of laptop batteries in this forum where you should drain and then fully charge your battery once a week. I have a tendency to use the MagSafe? adapter for my power much more often than relying on my battery.

My question is, am I cutting the life of my battery by using AC power via the adapter rather than the battery the majority of the time? To get the optimal life out of my battery, should I only use AC power when recharging the battery?

Any help/ responses are appreciated.

Steve

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know what FAQ you read, but it's wrong. You never need to fully drain your battery. That was only necessary while calibrating older Mac notebooks with removable batteries, and that was only once every month or two.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. howbotnik macrumors newbie

I must be lucky. I'm on 1855 cycles and still get 2 hours battery life! :eek: