MacBook BBB complaint

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gethyphyyo, Mar 27, 2009.

1. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

Below is the company's response to your complaint.

What a company does to resolve complaints is part of the information we report to the public on individual companies. To be certain that our report on this company is accurate, we need your confirmation that this complaint has been settled. Would you take a minute to tell us about your satisfaction or dissatisfaction with the response? The yellow shaded area indicates the complaint's current processing status and will allow you to enter your response in the text box.

If we do not hear from you within the next seven days, we will assume you have accepted the company's offer or explanation and are satisfied with it. However, please feel free to contact us again if the company has made an offer to settle your complaint and fails to perform accordingly.

Thank you for using the Better Business Bureau.

Complaint ID: 16027060
    Complaint Classification:
    Complaint Description - Posted 3/24/2009 8:55:05 AM
    I contacted the executive customer relations regarding a known issue with the WHITE MacBook's Palm Rests cracking and creating a hazard to the user. They fixed the problem because it is a known problem and is not willing to do a full on re-call for this issue. About two weeks later(03/23/2009) the MacBook has the same issue and I asked for a replacement laptop and was denied. I feel after 3 replacements of the same computer and then having to have this current laptop repaid twice for the same issue means the build of this laptop is not up to par for a customer that has spent over $1300.00 for a product that does not last over a year.
    Complaint Summary
    Incompetent employee's that are not willing to replace a older MacBook for a customer that has been through more then 3 replacement MacBooks.
    Resolution Sought
    Current unibody Replacement MacBook.

Additional Information
    Date Problem First Occurred:
    3/23/2009
    Product or Service: Their customer service is not as good as it use to be.
    Model Name or Number: MacBook
    Date Purchased:
    Order Number:
    Amount In Dispute: $1,400.00

ompany's Response

Company's Initial Response - Posted 03/27/2009
    Thank you for your recent correspondence to the executive offices of Apple regarding the above referenced customer. The following excerpt from the Apple One-Year Limited Warranty is available at : “Apple's warranty obligations for this hardware product are limited to the terms set forth below: Apple, as defined below, warrants this Apple-branded hardware product against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser (“Warranty Period”). If a hardware defect arises and a valid claim is received within the Warranty Period, at its option and to the extent permitted by law, Apple will either (1) repair the hardware defect at no charge, using new or refurbished replacement parts, (2) exchange the product with a product that is new or which has been manufactured from new or serviceable used parts and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product, or (3) refund the purchase price of the product.” The following excerpt from the Apple Parts - Ninety (90) Days Limited Warranty is available at : “Apple’s warranty obligations are limited to the terms set forth below: Apple, as defined below, warrants this Apple-branded hardware part against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of NINETY (90) DAYS from the date of retail purchase by the original end-user purchaser (”Warranty Period”). If a hardware defect arises and a valid claim is received within the Warranty Period, at its option, Apple will either (1) exchange the part with a new, used or refurbished part that is at least functionally equivalent to the original part, or (2) refund the purchase price of the part. A replacement part assumes the remaining warranty of the original part or ninety (90) days from the date of replacement, whichever provides longer coverage for you.” Apple records confirm Mr. Santiago received his MacBook on February 26, 2008 and that no repairs were performed on the MacBook during the Apple One-Year Limited Warranty period. Mr. Santiago contacted this office on March 2, 2009, requesting assistance with an issue described as “cracking of the topcase near the palmrest”. As a demonstration of Apple’s strong commitment to customer satisfaction, this office arranged for in-warranty service to replace the affected part, which was performed by the Apple Store Southcenter on March 6, 2009. Mr. Santiago contacted this office on March 19, 2009, indicating the issue was again occurring, and requesting Apple replace his computer. Apple declined Mr. Santiago’s request for a replacement MacBook, based on the in-warranty repair history of the MacBook, and the terms and conditions of the Apple One-Year Limited Warranty. Apple will, however, continue to provide support for the topcase under the terms and conditions of the Apple Parts - Ninety (90) Days Limited Warranty. Apple appreciates the support of our customers, including Mr. Santiago’s, and strives to reach mutually satisfactory resolutions to all customer requests; we apologize that we were not able to do so in this instance. Apple considers this matter closed.
    Initial Response Summary
    Apple will continue to provide support for the topcase under the terms and conditions of the Apple Parts - Ninety (90) Days Limited Warranty.

My Rebuttal:
    Seems that the customer service is not as good as it is when the CEO is around. You being in the customer service field should be able to make the customer happy no matter what.

Maybe because i'm a retail manager and thats what my company's motto is, I must expect to much from a company that I have spent thousands on.

I have spent thousands on Apple products and this has left a bitter taste in my mouth for sure.

If the person who looked into this would have done a complete job, they would have seen this has been my 4th computer replacement, and first repair on this UNIT. But because someone who must have been lazy to go back a year from now and actually look into my history ,so your not able to speak completely on this issue.

The people who run the email sjobs@apple.com are not doing their job. If they were. I would have received a phone call/email response with in 24 hours.

It sucks when you can't even find a company that stay's true the people who made them what they are today.

I will no longer be spending my hard earned money and buying Apple products from now on.

Thanks,
    No longer a Apple customer - John Santiago

2. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Keep having the Macbook repaired/replaced every time the palm rest cracks. Keep doing this until you bankrupt Apple. Then you will have had your vengeance.

Also, do you have muscular forearms?

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Wow, you got THREE brand-new MacBooks because of the cracking white top case?

Seems like the best anyone on here gets is there top case replaced on their existing MacBook.

4. gethyphyyo thread starter macrumors regular

Naw. I'm over it. They lost a customer that has been spending his and his parents hard earned money for more then 10 years. My first personal computer was a clear red and white iMac. then a eMac went to Sony for awhile, being 21 (20 when I bought the Macbook) back to a Mac. buying everything and anything Apple because it's Apple. but never again. I'm sooo over it

Maybe i'll buy a nice Sony and Hackintosh it.

then I can be on Tv saying "I'm a PC because Apple doesn't know how to treat there customers after they take their hard earned money."

But I use a Apple Bluetooth Key board and mouse 80% of the time I use my MacBook, so I don't think my "muscular forearms" would have anything to do with this problem.LOL:D

No. MANY other problems. Screen-hard drive- top case -the clicker part on the mouse pad.

I'm so annoyed thinking about it. I never really hear about Dell,Sony,Toshiba and IBM ever having to do something for a customer due to having a problem with their Computer as much as I do with Apple products.:mad:

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Wait until you see all the problems pc's have these days.

6. gethyphyyo thread starter macrumors regular

I have a high end Toshiba laptop that is 2 years old and I only paid $850.00 for it and have never had ONE problem.

The build is just much better and is a true portable computer.

With the white Macbook the only way to keep it from not having a problem is to keep it at home on a desk and never close it so the magnet does not create a crack while transporting it.

7. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Funny, my girlfriend's "high-end" Toshiba gave out on her in slightly over three years. Totally died. She bought MacBook... trouble free so far.

Apple will continue to fix your top case for free.

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

3 years!?:eek:
    Surprised it made it that long! :rolleyes:
    (I've had nothing but the worst of luck with windows based computers)

9. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yeah i fix windows machines. They can be painful

10. jeremybuff macrumors regular

There are two things that you can do:

1) Keep fighting and get it fixed over and over, or
    2) Buy a new MacBook.

Notice I did not say get a PC. That would be insanely stupid... no offense though. Hackintosh's are infamously unreliable and what about when Snow Leopard comes out? Will your hardware still work? You'll no doubt experience more trouble than it's worth.

Whatever you do, Macs are great computers- have been and always will be. Even though I went through hell and high water with Apple concerning my MBA's flawed hinges, I am still a customer because I believe in and enjoy using their products. Overall, their customer service and products are far superior to anything else out there on the market.

All this and I'm not even a big fanboy. Should tell you something.

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I may be wrong, but Apple will consider replacing your laptop after they've had to work on the SAME issue for at least 3 times. It didn't sound like that was your case, just that you were ticked for having so many issues with your Macbook... which is a whole different fish. If I misread your post, then my bad.

I'm not saying you're not entitled to be frustrated, just that I don't think Apple is no obligated to give you a brand new laptop just like that.

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...it sounds like to went to the BBB a little too quickly, :apple: was trying to fix your issues each time weren't they?

A couple more repairs, they may have done what you wanted if the request was kept civil...

13. gethyphyyo thread starter macrumors regular

Apple was trying to deny the problem so I contacted Ken Bell at executive customer relations. Thank God I had his number saved in my iPhone from the first batch of problems I was having when I switched from my Toshiba to a MacBook.

Then I was called back from Daniel Jasso saying he was aware of the problem. The only reason why he fixed it out of warranty is because I told him to Google it and its all over the net. I also told him I would file a formal complaint with the BBB and also share my story with consumerist.com if something was not done.

14. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

So you basically bullied your way into getting a new laptop when you didn't really meet the criteria for it in the first place...

15. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

Yea it seems like he did bully his way and your obviously doing something wrong cracking your palmrest 3 times your probably closing or putting to much pressure on the lid to the top case and you expect a new unibody macbook after you have used your white macbook for over a year ever hurd depreciated value your 1400 dollar macbook is not worth that anymore so the dispute shouldnt be 1400 dollars your not entitled to that replacement mabye if you make enuff noise and be a pest they may do it. But all your entitled to if you still have apple care is repairs on the macbook. If your sick and tired of getting it repaired just sell it and get the new unibody.

16. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Seems like the logical thing to do! ;)

17. gethyphyyo thread starter macrumors regular

So basicly you didn't read everything I posted...

The MacBook replacements were due to other reasons as stated in my last few posts and I was offered the other replacements due to the MacBooks being less than a week old.

When I worked at the mall that had a apple store I knew the store manager just from saying how are you every morning I would see him in the starbucks line.. So that may be a reason why he replaced them on the spot. I told him it was my main computer and it soul be hard for me to have to wait for the parts to reair it to come in.

18. gethyphyyo thread starter macrumors regular

Haha. Well if you had read all my posts you would of seen the replacements were due to Many other problems.

So I don't have a need to bully anyone

19. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

If you never buy another Apple product again, you will likely never have a problem again. :rolleyes:

By the way, how did that work out for you? Did you catch many flies with that vinegar?

20. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

That's EXACTLY my point. Like I said before, from what I know, Apple will consider replacing your laptop (when it's out of the 15 day period) AFTER they have worked on your current laptop for at least 3 times, trying to fix the same issue.
    What you're saying is that just because you had to swap out a few White MBs because of a NUMBER of issues, you think you were entitled to just flat out getting an Aluminum Macbook.
    I don't wanna be a jerk or anything, but dang... that sounds like spoiled rotten to me!

It looks to me like Apple MORE than took care of you! You didn't have to wait for your MB to be fixed and they kept switching them out for you. I still don't understand very well the grounds for your hissy fit!

21. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I was trying to stay out of this but I dont understand the OP's Logic what so ever..
    OP, I dont see AT ALL how you feel you "deserve" or are "required" to receive an aluminum MacBook. Your posts just sound like a snotty little kid who isnt happy with what he purchased and is trying to swindle a new computer out of someone any way he can. Calling out the BBB on Apple!? Come on now! Sorry I know it's harsh but that's just like someone saying they deserve a 2009 BMW because they bought a 2006 and have had to have repairs on it. If anything you might be entitled to a new WHITEbook but by no means an aluminum MacBook. Deal with it.

22. gethyphyyo thread starter macrumors regular

They no longer make a White 2.4Ghz Macbook so that is the only reason why I was asking for a newer model.

I'm over it. I talked to my uncle who is a lawyer and he is doing some research on the MacBook palm rests problem, He lives in Cali so he's going to see if it's worth starting a class action lawsuit and get people who own a MacBook some type of compensation or something in writing from Apple that would ensure each person who has a white MacBook will have lifetime support with the palm rests.

If Apple were to say. Okay. Hey John. I'm sorry we can't give you a new MacBook but how about a note on the your s/n so if you ever experience the problem again we will repair it at no cost to you, I would shut up and be over it.

but it's going to be a on going problem because of the design flaw of the case.

23. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I agree. I dont really know what a legitimate resolution would be to the problem.
    You said something about a "free repair", I was under the assumption that the palm rests were covered even if the MacBook was out of warranty.