Macbook beachball and fan

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kerplunkuk, Apr 23, 2009.

1. kerplunkuk macrumors newbie

I have a macbook 10.5.6 which is fully updated. I am having issues with safari causing beachballing and running hot / the fan running on overtime.

I have tried the usual methods of resetting safari, deleting the pref file and now I am stuck.

If I am opening a new tab I may have to sit for 30 seconds through a beachball. If I try and watch MLB.tv or any video content the fans kick in and the macbook runs very hot. Often during this safari freezes and will beachball.

I have no internet issues as other macs and PC's run fine. The issues happen both by wireless and wired connections.

Research has pointed towards a flash issue. I have uninstalled and tried old version but the same problem arises.

Any suggestions?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you looked at Activity Monitor while Safari beachballs, to see what CPU percentage is used by Safari or any other process (don't forget to show All Processes)?

I had a similar problem with Safari, until it wouldn't open anymore.
    So I run Onyx Automation and after the restart it required, Safari is behaving normal again.

[​IMG]

3. kerplunkuk thread starter macrumors newbie

Safari is using the highest CPU quantity around 20-25% when it beachballs. However it is using over 700Mb of memory and 2.84GB of virtual memory, is this normal?
    The second highest thing is coreaudio.

4. macneurotic macrumors newbie

macneurotic

Safari... Fans... Beachballs...

I'm finally starting to see that Apple wants us to get the "beach vibe" while using our Macs. :D