Macbook becoming very hot

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JamesGorman, Jan 17, 2009.

1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

My macbook is becoming pretty warm , 76 Celsius and the fans are still only at 2000rpm.. should they not be going faster?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's perfectly normal. The fans should kick in around 100° C.

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing to the computer? Is it idle or doing something CPU intensive?

4. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

ok cool..they kicked in before at lower tempatures, i was just kinda worried..whats a normal temp for it?

5. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

it was in sleep for about 45 minutes and right now all im doing is sitting at my desk with this website open. Thats why im worried lol. Its currently at 79 Celsius and i only have one safari window open and only one tab in it.

6. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

My macbook sits at around 45 degrees C... CPU around 50-55.The fan is around 2000.

When installing software (Xcode) the cpu went up to 80 and fans to 2600..

This is while using it lying on my bed, so the rear vent is not getting the best air flow.

Dont know if this info helps in any way but thought I would share and let you compare.

7. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

well i downloaded fan control and i decided i didnt want it any longer because even after turning up the thresholds it was revving the fans to much. so i followed the uninstall instructions and now my fans still wont slow down:( how do i reset everything and make my system go back to normal?

8. hamzab macrumors 6502

Oh no not another Fan Control issue!

Dude seriously dont install Fan control systems, they mess up your PC, well I guess we learnt the hard way

Heres what ya do:

First, Uninstall Fan Control as in drag it to the trash

Then Go to Activity monitor and Force Quit/Kill the "FanControlDaemon" activity

Thirdly, go to System (Macintosh HD if ur new to Mac) then Library folder and in the folder named "StartupApplications" delete Fan Control

Fourthly, go System/Preferancepane and delete Fan Control

Then restart ur computer

If that doesnt work then There is also a reset patch, I dont know where it is located on the vast array of what we call the Internet but follow these steps and if dont work ill Post the Reset link if I can find it

Keep me updated on it

HamzaB