MacBook Beeping

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SnowLeopard2008, Jan 30, 2009.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I was putting a fresh install of OS X on a friend's MacBook. I put in the disk, it asked me to restart, and I went to Disk Utility (on restore disk) to zero out the data on the hard disk. I clicked partition (since he had a boot camp partition) to 1 partition and clicked apply. Here's where things go kinda weird. The confirmation dialogue comes up and the whole screen froze. I waited for a few minutes but nothing. I then held the power button until it shuts down. Reboot, and there's this beeping noise. It beeps 2 times, stops, and then beeps 3 times. I searched Google, which pulled up entries like bad RAM or something, but my RAM wad upgraded a long time ago, really rare coincidence that it failed while Disk Utility (off the restore disk) froze. Any ideas? I need to install the OS...

2. mannix87 macrumors 6502

this happened to me last year while installing Leopard. brought it to Apple right away. they had to migrate the data to another Mac first & restored everything. then re-did the Leopard install. took around 3 hrs tops.
    according to them some files got corrupted during installation that's why it wouldn;t boot.

3. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Really? I tried taking out my hard drive and replacing with another one. Still no dice. I did PRAM/SMC resets, reseated my RAM, everything I could think of. I guess it's up to the Apple Genius to sort out my troubles. :(