Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveconway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2015
Newcastle, England
Hi
iv just bought a reconditioned macbook mid 2007, with the main purpose of doing powerpoint presentations from a cd at my local dive club however i can't even get the cd to run surely this is capable of playing a cd,Help???

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
You say it's a powerpoint presentation. Is it an actual .ppt or .pptx file? Do you have Powerpoint or iWork installed? Unless it's somehow a standalone presentation or video, you need something that can view the file in question.

I do presentations from Powerpoint slides on virtual meetings, what we often do is convert the file to PDF then use that for presentation, we also use that format to upload to our share for later reference as it's platform-agnostic.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
You can buy iWork on Amazon. You may need iWork08 or iWork09, depending on which version of OSX that you have on your Macbook.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=software&field-keywords=iwork

iWork contains Apple's equivalent of Powerpoint, Keynote. However, it may not run your Powerpoint presentation without first changing some fonts and slide animations to fit in with what Keynote does.

You might like to try the free Neo Office suite which has Presentation software, although I've not tried that part of it.
https://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

daveconway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2015
Newcastle, England
You say it's a powerpoint presentation. Is it an actual .ppt or .pptx file? Do you have Powerpoint or iWork installed? Unless it's somehow a standalone presentation or video, you need something that can view the file in question.

I do presentations from Powerpoint slides on virtual meetings, what we often do is convert the file to PDF then use that for presentation, we also use that format to upload to our share for later reference as it's platform-agnostic.

Hi
thanks for your reply my main problem is i can't even get th disc to play it has more stuff on than just the presentation i can't see it anywhere although i can hear it starting up , oes mac have an equilant of windows my computer where i would normally look for a disc that didn't auto start ?
Dave

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Finder.

You may need to go into Finder preferences to have the drive display in Finder. It won't automatically "play" like Windows likes to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.