Macbook being replaced..what to do with Office?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pottebaum, May 30, 2008.

1. pottebaum macrumors member

Hey,

I'm getting my Macbook replaced due to a microphone issue. I'm going to have to send it back to Apple through FedEx, and as soon as they see it in FedEx's system, they'll overnight me a new one. Good deal.

However, I already have Microsoft Office 2008 installed on my Macbook. Will I be able to install it on the replacement with no problem?

Thanks!

2. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

As long as you have the CD and serial you will be fine

3. chscag macrumors 68000

You don't mention what version of Office 2008... Student edition, standard edition, etc. Anyway, completely remove it from the MacBook prior to sending it to Apple.

You want to make sure you can install it on your new MacBook without any conflict of product keys. MS will detect if the product key has been used twice. Since you used the product key to install it to the machine you're sending back to Apple, it's already registered with MS. When you reinstall on your new MacBook and use the same product key, MS will not allow it.

That's why I ask which version you have. For example, the student version comes with three product keys. I hope this makes sense to you.

Regards.

4. pottebaum thread starter macrumors member

^yep, it's the student version.

I could just use one of the other product keys then?

5. Petey07 macrumors member

If this is the case, is there a way we can try to make it work? I am planning on getting Mac Office 08 Pro.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I'm pretty sure there's no activation in any Mac Office products - I moved it from my MBP to my MBA when I changed without any problems. What it does do is check that there aren't multiple instances of the same serial number running on the same network

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

No problem, try the serial you have already used. If it decides to play silly bu**ers just use one of the other two serial numbers .. :)

8. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Or call MS and tell them what happened and they will give you a new serial number. I've transferred Office from PC to PC several times with no problem. They only asked if I'd removed the software from the old machine. I've done the same with the OS when I've had to reformat the hard drive. MS are pretty good at allowing this.
    Alan

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Uninstall it and that's that; there is not activation in Office 2008; only block simultaneous use of the same key on multiple computers; if you're replacing it, then just delete the program; it's not like you'll be using the current installation anyways, so no worries.