MacBook (Black, 2006) external monitor setup question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by paymonGT, Oct 7, 2012.

1. paymonGT macrumors member

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2012 MBA 8/256 to replace my 2006 MacBook as my everyday machine.

The BlackBook has been sitting on my desk collecting dust over the last 2 months but is in PERFECT working order. It has 4GB RAM (maxed out) and a 750GB HDD (420GB free). I loaned it out to my brother whose laptop broke down, but it is coming back to me shortly.

My thoughts are to turn it into a pseudo-desktop. I was thinking I could connect an external display with a wireless keyboard and mouse and have a sweet little set up. How difficult/possible is this? What components do I need to make this happen beyond the monitor/mouse/keyboard?

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

You need a Mini DVI to VGA or DVI adapter, depending on the inputs of the monitor.

from

3. paymonGT thread starter macrumors member

Am I limited as to the size of external display or will anything do?

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

No, you wouldn't be limited in size (I assume you mean the physical size of the screen, yeah?)

5. paymonGT thread starter macrumors member

Correct.

So this sounds super straightforward.

Final question -- does the laptop have to be open for this whole set up to work (I assume yes), or would I be able to some how be able to run the external display with my laptop closed (and out of the way)?

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Once the laptop is connected up to the external display I believe you can put it in "Clamshell Mode" - A mode that allows you to close your MacBook while using it with an external display :)