MacBook (Black, 2006) external monitor setup question

paymonGT

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2012 MBA 8/256 to replace my 2006 MacBook as my everyday machine.

The BlackBook has been sitting on my desk collecting dust over the last 2 months but is in PERFECT working order. It has 4GB RAM (maxed out) and a 750GB HDD (420GB free). I loaned it out to my brother whose laptop broke down, but it is coming back to me shortly.

My thoughts are to turn it into a pseudo-desktop. I was thinking I could connect an external display with a wireless keyboard and mouse and have a sweet little set up. How difficult/possible is this? What components do I need to make this happen beyond the monitor/mouse/keyboard?

Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
You need a Mini DVI to VGA or DVI adapter, depending on the inputs of the monitor.

Mini DVI
Mini DVI is a digital common interface on the later G4 12" PowerBook, on Intel iMacs till 2009 and on the white and black pre-Unibody MacBooks and on Intel Mac minis before they changed the design to Unibody.
Mini DVI adapters can be bought online from:

Also of interest: "Mini DVI, what it is and how to capture it"
from

paymonGT

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Am I limited as to the size of external display or will anything do?

paymonGT

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
No, you wouldn't be limited in size (I assume you mean the physical size of the screen, yeah?)
Correct.

So this sounds super straightforward.

Final question -- does the laptop have to be open for this whole set up to work (I assume yes), or would I be able to some how be able to run the external display with my laptop closed (and out of the way)?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Correct.

So this sounds super straightforward.

Final question -- does the laptop have to be open for this whole set up to work (I assume yes), or would I be able to some how be able to run the external display with my laptop closed (and out of the way)?
Once the laptop is connected up to the external display I believe you can put it in "Clamshell Mode" - A mode that allows you to close your MacBook while using it with an external display :)