Macbook Black (4,1) Heat Problem - Fan Control 1.2 also Giving problems - Help pls!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hamzab, Jan 17, 2009.

1. hamzab macrumors 6502

Hi all

I have a Black Macbook, 2.4ghz, 2gb Ram, 250GB HDD no hardware modifications made.

The problems with it are basically the Mac had started to overheat, when browsing normally I used to get 55 to 65 degrees barely having the computer on for 1 - 2 hours. So after scouting the net I found Fan Control 1.2

Now after using it I found that the Fans would always run high at around 4000RPMs and the temp would still stay at around 50 -55 degrees so it wasnt good, I needed a programme that could have the fan always at Full as this was the only way I could solve the problem of overheating.

So I found SMCFanControl, this programme is great, allowing you to set fan Parameters in either Default or Higher RPM settings (im sure you guys know about these programmes then me so i will carry on)

Before I installed SMCFanControl I deleted Fan Control 1.2, however i then noticed that my Fan settings would always be "Stuck" at 3400 RPM. Plus, I couldnt lower the "default" fan settings for SMC Fan Control to 1800 which the Macbook is meant to run at. So now, the lowest level the default will go is stuck at around 3400 RPM

The Macbook has a range of other problems like a Cracked Keyboard, which has scratched the LCD Bezel, a Purple line through the LCD and I think due to the Macbook overheating so much, the left side of the bottom housing on the macbook has come loose, in between these two screws on the side, this has caused a small crack at the bottom of the screw

My question is how can I repair the issue of setting the default fan RPM setting back to 1800 as I think Fan Control has gone into the BIOS and messed about with the settings, is there a way of reseting the factory settings as I've read that this might help but a simple reformat of the OS will not.

(Please ignore my ignorance about the Mac Operating system, however ive been building computers since a young age so Im Fine with the hardware used in the mac)

Please help and Thank you

HamzaB

2. Justin Horne macrumors newbie

How old is it?
    My MB was recently (for the past month or three) been running warm, with the fans jumping to max practically whenever I did anything. I recently took a hairdrier on the cool setting, blowed it into the vent at the back... It's a fantastically different machine now, running cool and quiet. I assume I just had a ton of dust buildup there.

3. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi mate, the mac is just over half a year old. I know the problem is the heat but I'm worried about the default fan settings that have gone haywire. Do you think apple will repair the fan problem. I know the other issues will be resolved such as the cracks but the fan issue is really bugging me

4. ledzep37 macrumors newbie

5. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes mate reset both of those.

Do you think I should just take it into the Apple store? But Im worried that they'll give me an Aluminium Macbook, I hear thats got even more over heating problems so I'd rather keep this Blackbook rather then get the Al one, unless they would repair this many issues with my Blackone

(Please look at first post for the many issues I have with this mac :eek:)

6. ledzep37 macrumors newbie

Did you also remove the StartupItem mentioned here:

http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/

you mentioned deleting it, but I don't know if that means you followed those instructions, or if you just removed the PreferencePane

7. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

8. ledzep37 macrumors newbie

odd, I would have thought that if everything was removed and you reset the SMC your fans should be back to default behavior.

I have played with various fan utilities in the past, but anytime I removed all of the extensions/programs and reset the SMC, everything went back to normal

9. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Its still Bugging me mate, I've no idea on what to do

Im just going to give it in for repair, Ill let you know what apple say, If they bug me about Ill just go to Apple Care and Apple Customer realations, they'd probably get me set for a repair, besides My Mac already has a range of other problems, they HAVE to take it in for repair, and if they make a shoddy job out of it, im asking for a new Unibody one. I paid an arm n a leg only half a year ago and to get all these problems is unacceptable

Also one question, if your temp goes to like 70 degrees, do your fans kick in, mine just stay the same?

10. ledzep37 macrumors newbie

Yeah, my fans are running slightly faster than default with SMCFanControl, but then when it gets hot under load the fans go up to over 6000 RPM, then once the processor starts to cool the fans go back down.

11. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks man

I think Im just going to go and give it in for repair, I mean whats the worst Apple can say right? Ive deleted all trace of the program so they cant really say anything and besides this baby OVERHEATS they need to address that and the other vast heaps of problems I have with it

12. ledzep37 macrumors newbie

13. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502