Macbook black A1181

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Crown16, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Crown16 macrumors regular

Dear All,

My grandfather is a longtime mac-user, He kind of stayed behind after the jump to 10.5 cause they didnt support is os 9 anymore.

Anyway, he is a big fan of The Print Shop by mackiev, He recently upgraded to the Printshop 3 (which is apparantly better, not sure why). Problem was his 10.4 system did support TP3 so I had to upgrade is ''06 Black Macbook to Snowleopard. I did a clean install, then Installed TP3 as only 3rd party software. I find that it still runs very slow. Im not sure if that is because his Macbook is slow, because he has to little ram or cause its still an old fashioned hdd.

We talked to the big Resellers in the netherlands all they offered him was 190,- which doesnt get him close to any other mac.

What is your advice, cause he just wants TP3 to work fast and smooth.

-Should I upgrade to ram to 2gb (I think that that is the max)
    -Should I take out the HDD and put an SSD in?
    - or should I take the 190 and run?

Any advice is welcome thanks in advance guys!

greets

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That machine is worth more than 190. In the US, you could get about $300-$450 for it. The model of A1181 is unfortunately too broad of a model as it covers eight different models. Could you provide the machine ID? It is in the format of Macbook2,1, but may have different numbers. Depending on which model Macbook you have, you may be able to put 2, 3.3, or 6GB of ram in it. I would suggest at least replacing the stock hard drive with either a new hard drive or even a SSD. You'd see a speed boost with both, but the biggest gain from a SSD.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Honestly I would slap it on eBay or Craigslist and get as much as you can.

Let's sum this up

Ram max is 3gb unofficial that is and you need to install 4gb for the system to dump 1gb down the pan.

Hdd is sata 1 so even with a ssd in there things won't be amazing.

My advice, sell it and pick up a 2011-2012 mbp for 5-600 bucks that'll eat what u have for breakfast.