MacBook Black and HD Output

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by murali1404, Oct 10, 2007.

1. murali1404 macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Black edition. If I were to capture in HD using iMovie HD 06, is there any means possible to output to a High Def. disk (eg. external drive) using the bundled software? How are people achieving High Def. disks?

2. bkvideography macrumors member

Yup, just hook up your firewire camera and import into a 720p or 1080i project, edit, and share at full quality and save it wherever you like.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

High Def. disk ??? Do you mean HD-DVD and/or BluRay?

Right now, there's no real way to generate HD-DVD or BluRay movie discs on a Mac with the included software. There aren't that many HD-DVD or BD burners out there yet.

I suspect that Apple will have the necessary software to burn BD movies as soon as they include a BD drive in a Mac.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Adobe Encore CS3 supports burning to Blu-ray disks if I remember correctly. Obviously that means you'll need an external Blu-ray burner (do they even exist yet?).

5. murali1404 thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the use of iMovie HD 06 being able to edit in High Definition if the Mac can't even output to the relevent media ?

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Well, there are HD media other than HD-DVD and BluRay. For instance, you could output your edited movies to AppleTV's 720/24p format. You could also send the footage back to the camcorder, provided it's HDV and watch it from the camera (conneted to an HDTV). Or you could even hook up your Mac to an HDTV and watch in full 1080i.

The point is that HD-DVD and BluRay isn't quite there yet for making home movies. Give it a year or two.

ft

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I read his post as wanting an HD authoring program for Blu-ray disks not just a burning application. In that case the only option as I stated above is Adobe Encore CS3.

Of course Toast will burn the disk for you but won't be able to add all the nice DVD menus that you can create with Encore CS3.

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Says he's already using iMovie HD...

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Exactly. Hence the reason to want a Blu-ray authoring program (ala iDVD except not) not a Blu-ray burning program. Hence the suggestion for Encore CS3.