Macbook (black)(ECE major)?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by solaris7, Jul 29, 2008.

1. solaris7 macrumors regular

Hello! I am planning to buy a macbook (over a macbook pro) for college(for ECE) because i generally think a macbook pro is overkill unless one is a hard core design student. I am not really into video or photo editing, although occasionally i might do it. I was wondering if typing out long papers or researching a bit on the internet is a chore or very comfortable on the macbook.
    Also, I plan to keep the macbook for the full 4 years and was wondering if the brightness of the screen will reduce by a large margin over the months, thus being very uncomfortable. This is where i think the macbook pro is the winner, but i don't need the graphic card or the keyboard back lighting, though i would def. like the larger screen and LED-backlit feature. Also, i don't plan to take notes on the laptop unless it is a CS class.
    An external monitor is out of the question because my dorm has small rooms and i don't have space for the extra monitor+macbook+notebooks on the desk. I was told often that I would be spending most of my time in clusters so i don't really see the point of a macbook pro, the clusters in my university are outfitted with superb computers(iMac's + Mac Pros+(and some windows machines :D) ) and they are open 24/7.
    Am i doing it right by choosing a macbook? or should i splurge the extra cash(my father said he would pay for it, but if i don't need it, why buy it?).
    Thanks in advance for replying.
    (Also, i am not planning on playing the waiting game)

2. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

The MacBook keyboard is in my opinion the best notebook keyboard I've ever typed on. Its very responsive and doesn't require much effort on your part to type.
    I've typed essays on this and its been a far better experience than my old Dell laptop. Saying that, your hands will get tired no matter what keyboard your typing on.

In terms of screen brightness and life, I have no idea, I haven't had my MacBook for over a year yet. the screen is very bright however. Size-wise, I'm happy with the MacBook's screen,

The MacBook is an excellent laptop but, if your Dad is paying you might as well get a MacBook Pro, if screen size is important to you.

3. sabregreen macrumors member

I'm an ECE major and this is my fourth year. I used a powerbook for the first 3 and a macbook for the last two and will continue till next summer. I program and everything on my macbook. I love it. But a PC laptop will do the same. Just depends on what you prefer. Do you like Mac OS X? If so, get the macbook. If it doesnt really matter and you are fine with XP/Vista, get a Dell or HP or whatever vendor you choose.