MacBook (black) fan noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pgwalsh, Feb 11, 2008.

1. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Hey there.

Anyone know if it's normal for the MacBook to have a rather audible fan noise while sitting idle? I've had the computer for about two weeks and the fan makes a constant whining sound. I have a Mac Pro and seems quieter than this computer. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

what's your room temperature and is ur CPU running hot? also check what kind of activity is running in the background even when your macbook is idle.

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

My new blackBook is quiet even when running iPhoto, iWeb, PSE4, Bridge, and Safari all at once. I haven't noticed the fan noise yet with use since Christmas... you may have an issue.?

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You can use iStat to read your fan's speed, and smcfancontrol to adjust it.

5. pgwalsh thread starter macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Thanks everyone for your response, I really appreciate it.

To start, it makes this sound without any applications open. I don't have anything special installed. This machine is strickly for road use, but when I'm in my office it's distracting.

I have looked into smcfancontrol and it didn't seem to make a difference at different speeds. I think it was spinning at 1500 RPM's, but just noisy.

My office temperature is quite cool 45 to 64 degrees. Our heater has been out for 10 days.

Other people who have been in the room have noticed the noise as well. It's not super loud, but loud enough to be noticeable.

6. goose1873 macrumors member

you shouldn't hear a fan running at 1500 rpm unless your ear is against the computer. something is wrong w/ the fan.

7. pgwalsh thread starter macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Okay thank you.. I will take it to the Palo Alto Mac store tomorrow. :(