Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
What exactly is different? Are the plastics visibly different? I was at an apple store the other day and didn't see any difference between my 2.2ghz MB and the Penryn MB's. Users probably don't notice a difference yet because their MB's are still new. When my 2.2ghz MB first arrived I got few smudges too compared to my original Core Duo BlackBook. Use your new MB's a few weeks and you will notice the same smudges. I'm a bit skeptical and need pics showing the difference in the materials.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
How does flaking typically happen? What causes it? When does it appear?

'Cause if I have a blackbook, it better ****ing not flake, else I'm'a busta cap in....

Well, you know what I mean.

I think you need to research, you would be surprised, there is a guy with major flaking problems on flickr, just search black macbook flake or something. But I think its fixed with the Penryn's.

jacoblee86

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
i think they changed the plastic on the black macbooks since the 2.2. i bought a 2.2 about a month ago and noticed it looked/felt different at the mac store than the one my friend had which was a 2ghz.

TUD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Really? Wow. Maybe they just made some out of the old material just for you? :rolleyes:

Or... maybe there was never a change to begin with? :eek:

BTW, since no one has posted any pics I will take some tomorrow and post them.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA

IMO, the the new black material is SOOO smooth, i mean i couldn't believe it. And apple made the keys "slippery" and "nice" if you will.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England

Posting pics will prove nothing or I'd post some myself. The plastic feels totally different to my old Core Duo. I'm comparing them side by side at the minute. The old one feels slightly rubberised. It does feel like a coating on the plastic. The new one just feels like a smooth plastic finish. It's less interesting than the old finish if anything but it is DEFINITELY not showing up fingerprints anywhere near as much.

However, I think it's worth pointing out that Apple haven't invented some new kind of plastic that will never get fingerprints. It's not magic. You can't stop fingerprints appearing. All people are saying is that this latest revision is not picking them up so easily.

What exactly is different? Are the plastics visibly different?
<SNIP>
Use your new MB's a few weeks and you will notice the same smudges. I'm a bit skeptical and need pics showing the difference in the materials.

Pics wont show the difference. They don't really look any different and it certainly wouldn't show up in a photo. You just need to compare the feel of both plastics side by side and there is a CLEAR difference.

Also pretty sure that the trackpad is different. Whether it'll stand the test of time better than my old one is another matter. Fingers crossed.

The trackpad button is more responsive than my old MB and the MBs a couple of my friends have. The ones in store were more responsive too. I can tap this anywhere, even on a corner and it works. This may have been fixed with the SR Macbooks for all I know though.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Posting pics will prove nothing or I'd post some myself. The plastic feels totally different to my old Core Duo. I'm comparing them side by side at the minute. The old one feels slightly rubberised. It does feel like a coating on the plastic. The new one just feels like a smooth plastic finish. It's less interesting than the old finish if anything but it is DEFINITELY not showing up fingerprints anywhere near as much.

However, I think it's worth pointing out that Apple haven't invented some new kind of plastic that will never get fingerprints. It's not magic. You can't stop fingerprints appearing. All people are saying is that this latest revision is not picking them up so easily.

EXACTLY. the plastic is much smoother and nicer to touch.

Etrain

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
Land of Cleve
I played around with them at my local Best Buy. The black one had some finger prints, but NOTHING like before. I'm actually considering a black book now.

On a side note, what terrific marketing Apple is using with the Best Buy partnership. My store has a section devoted to Apple stuff, including a GIANT 10' tall black wall with 2 large white backlit Apple logos and a huge video wall between them. The table the Macs were on is the same as the Apple Stores. Really nicely done by both parties. It is so amazing to see what Jobs can achieve.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
i think they changed the plastic on the black macbooks since the 2.2. i bought a 2.2 about a month ago and noticed it looked/felt different at the mac store than the one my friend had which was a 2ghz.
Yup, the changes happened with the MacBook (Late 2007) line, they also have changed keyboards (i.e. the new multimedia keys on the function keys, no num lock or embedded number pad) the vents on the back under the hinge are different and they will use up to 4GB of RAM with the SR chipset.

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Yup, the changes happened with the MacBook (Late 2007) line.

If they made the change of materials starting with the 2.2ghz models, that would explain why I can't notice a difference between the 2.2 and 2.4 models.

mmoran27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
The change happened after the 2.2 models.

I have both and I can tell you that the 2.2 is not the same plastic. It has the rubbery plastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.