MacBook (Black - Mid 2007) won't boot up

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bezerk3r86, Mar 31, 2009.

1. bezerk3r86 macrumors member

Hi

A friend of mine ran into the most surprising thing :eek: when he booted up from his MacBook. Instead of seeing the Apple logo, he saw a question mark - ?.

I told him to try and boot from his Install Disc 1 and it managed to as the Apple logo along with the busy progress bar was shown. Then the usual language selection. I told him to select startup disk from the utilities menu and he said that all he could see is network startup and the Mac OS install disk. Even when he tried to repair disk, it said that it wasn't mounted.

Could anyone know how to resolve this?:(

2. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

hard drive is dead...

interestingly, i though all the 2007 macbook HDs already died back in 2007... honestly, EVERYONE i knew with a new 2007 MacBook had their HD crash... what a mess...

3. bezerk3r86 thread starter macrumors member

When I tried to mount it for him using Disk Utility from the Mac OS DVD boot, it doesn't give any error message or so. It says "Not Mounted" but doesn't mount when I select Mount.

Does it mean that his hard drive is dead or could it be done another way?

4. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

either his HD is toast, or maybe the ram is loose? or something else crazy... but it sounds like his HD being totally dead.

hopefully he bought apple care to extend his warranty for 3 years... if so, just have it fixed.

5. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

If his machine is dead, can I have the letter N from the keyboard? Mine fell off :(

6. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Your hard drive probably is failing.

Try this... it will run a file system check.

Boot the mac and immediately press command (apple key) and s.

This will throw you into single user mode. Type this in. "/sbin/fsck -fy"

If it finds any errors it will find them on your hard drive. This is the best way to see if its a file structure error or something with the mechanics of the drive.

7. MacGeek767 macrumors member

MacGeek767

this happened to me as well, and the sad new is...the hard drive is dead.

so, the only thing to do is get a new hard drive and install it. i think apple has to do it, though...unless he has a bootable backup he can use to boot from, format the hard drive, and restore the data from the backup into the hard drive

8. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a