MacBook black Screen, nothing happens

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by genome87, May 9, 2009.

1. genome87 macrumors newbie

Hi!

I have gone for a while leaving my macbook running. It was doing nothing, just with Firefox, iTunes and Finder running.

When I've back it had a black screen, like if it were sleeping, but if I push any key it does nothing.

If I push the on/off key it just shows a white flash in the screen, and so it does if I leave this key pushed.

I've remove the RAM and it looks OK, and reinstalling it again does not work.

I've remove the battery and does not work.

It does not even try to startup, so I cant try any key combo.

My macbook is the black plastic one, 2,16GHz, 2GB Kingstone RAM, 169 GB HD with updated Tiger and was running perfectly till this moment. The only thing I can say is that lately Firefox and Windowserver processes were eating more CPU than normally.

Thanks a lot

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

If I understand your post correctly you pulled out a stick of ram, everything worked, and when you put the stick back in nothing worked. Just replace the bad ram stick. (If thats what you meant).

I've seen that same thing probably 20 - 30 times on dell xps gaming machines.

3. genome87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about my English.

No, that is not what I mean.

As the mac wasn't responding to anything, just showing white flashes, I've removed the RAM to check it, but it keeps not responding.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It sounds like some type of hardware failure. Possibly HD or Power or motherboard. If you can, take it to a Apple store or Apple authorized retailer and see if they can help.

The Mac install discs have a hard checker app, but it's not starting up that won't be of much help. When you press the power button to startup, is there any form of a response, a tone or anything at all that appears on screen?

5. genome87 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, just the flash or flashes and a very low sound that I assume is from the tft. But nothing else.

I will take it to a Tech Support next monday :s

6. genome87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just let you know that the Support told me that the fail comes from an electronic failure in the mother board, and as the MacBook still has guarantee they'll solve it.

Thanks a lot

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Glad they were able to hunt down the problem, and thanks for posting the answer back here as it may help others in the future.