Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IanKelleigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
My friend has a MacBook Pro (2015) with El Capitan and it's showing some strange issue when connected to an Apple Thunderbolt display.

She shuts it down every night, and when she comes back to it in the morning boots it up, the Thunderbolt display turns on, but the MacBook screen stays black. She used to Restart and both would come on, but I showed her how to use the Detect Displays button which would turn on the MacBook screen.

I've tried resetting SMC and PRAM but neither seems to have done anything. Has anyone heard of this? I have the same exact setup as her but mine works just fine.

Thanks in advance!
-Ian

IanKelleigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
Does anyone have any suggestions on this? It's still being a problem.

The MacBook screen will only be used if it's Restarted, Unplugged/Plugged, and using Detect Displays.

Thanks!

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
WOuld using sleep solve the issue? Why does your friend even shut down at all?

IanKelleigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
WOuld using sleep solve the issue? Why does your friend even shut down at all?

I've told her she doesn't need to but insists on it. I'm just trying to fix the issue, not find workarounds. Maybe I need to reinstall the system from scratch.

-Ian

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
What does it show in System Preferences, Displays?
Could she leave it on Sleep vs shutting down overnight?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I've told her she doesn't need to but insists on it. I'm just trying to fix the issue, not find workarounds. Maybe I need to reinstall the system from scratch.

-Ian
I understand that, but I was curious whether the behaviour would be reproductible coming from sleep instead of a full shut down.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Does anyone have any suggestions on this? It's still being a problem.

The MacBook screen will only be used if it's Restarted, Unplugged/Plugged, and using Detect Displays.

Thanks!

It will only work in clamshell mode if it remains plugged in and turned on, she will need to restart with it plugged in if she insists on shutting it down every night, it should wake from sleep fine though.

She has a choice continue shutting down and continue the ritual to get it back up and running or change her habits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.