MacBook Blank Screen with Apple Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IanKelleigh, Mar 10, 2016.

1. IanKelleigh macrumors newbie

My friend has a MacBook Pro (2015) with El Capitan and it's showing some strange issue when connected to an Apple Thunderbolt display.

She shuts it down every night, and when she comes back to it in the morning boots it up, the Thunderbolt display turns on, but the MacBook screen stays black. She used to Restart and both would come on, but I showed her how to use the Detect Displays button which would turn on the MacBook screen.

I've tried resetting SMC and PRAM but neither seems to have done anything. Has anyone heard of this? I have the same exact setup as her but mine works just fine.

Thanks in advance!
    -Ian

2. IanKelleigh thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any suggestions on this? It's still being a problem.

The MacBook screen will only be used if it's Restarted, Unplugged/Plugged, and using Detect Displays.

Thanks!

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

WOuld using sleep solve the issue? Why does your friend even shut down at all?

4. IanKelleigh thread starter macrumors newbie

I've told her she doesn't need to but insists on it. I'm just trying to fix the issue, not find workarounds. Maybe I need to reinstall the system from scratch.

-Ian

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

What does it show in System Preferences, Displays?
    Could she leave it on Sleep vs shutting down overnight?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

I understand that, but I was curious whether the behaviour would be reproductible coming from sleep instead of a full shut down.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It will only work in clamshell mode if it remains plugged in and turned on, she will need to restart with it plugged in if she insists on shutting it down every night, it should wake from sleep fine though.

She has a choice continue shutting down and continue the ritual to get it back up and running or change her habits.