Macbook boot rom firmware update

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacDaddy08, May 7, 2008.

1. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

I have a Macbook 1.83 GHz Core Duo and it has a fresh install of Leopard. I am trying to install bootcamp and Windows and everytime I open the bootcamp assistant it says I need to update my computers boot rom. The Boot Rom is the same as the EFI Firmware. I checked Apples support website and it turns out that my boot rom version is out of date. I downloaded the update from the website and tried to install it and everytime it says "Your computer does not need this update." and then closes the installer. However, Apples website and Bootcamp says I do need the update. Has anyone else had this problem. Apple won't help me because I am out of warranty and it's not worth paying anyone to check it out.

2. glasserp macrumors regular

Why is it not worth paying anyone to have a look at it? I guess it depends how bad you want to use bootcamp, sorry for not being much help.

3. Darge13 macrumors newbie

Did you complete all the steps when you did the update?

# Locate the appropriate update for your Macintosh model, and download it to your computer by clicking the update's title, then clicking on the file size indicator in download details or at the bottom of the page. The download will place the disk image on your desktop which contains an installer. If you downloaded via Safari, Safari will notify you that an application is in the image. Click OK to continue.

# If "Open safe files after downloading" is checked in Safari preferences, the disk image file will mount by itself. If that preference is not enabled in Safari, double click on the disk image to mount it.

# On the mounted disk image, you will find a file named either MacBookFirmwareUpdate.pkg, MacBookProFirmwareUpdate.pkg, MacMiniFirmwareUpdate.pkg, MacProFirmwareUpdate.pkg, or iMacFirmwareUpdate.pkg.

# Double-click the appropriate package for your computer to start the firmware update process. (The installer puts the Firmware Updater in the /Applications/Utilities folder, and launches it automatically.)

# Read the onscreen instructions and click Shut Down to proceed with the update. The firmware image will be loaded on your machine, and your machine will shut down, but the update will not be installed until the next step.

# Hold down the power button until the power indicator light flashes, then release it. A long tone will be heard, then a gray screen with an Apple logo appears. There is a progress bar under the logo. As the progress bar moves, your firmware is being updated.

The last step is the part that I am thinking was not done...

4. MacDaddy08 thread starter macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

" Why is it not worth paying anyone to have a look at it? I guess it depends how bad you want to use bootcamp, sorry for not being much help."

I have Parallels so I can use Windows on there. I would prefer to bootcamp though. If I can't figure it out myself, i will just use Parallels versus paying someone else to look at it. Its just not worth it to me.

Darge13-
    Yes, I did that step 4 step and when I double click on the installer package it opens the installer and that is when I get the message that says "Your computer does not need this update." and then it closes. That is as far as I can go.

Any other ideas for me to try or has anyone else out there had this problem. I found this same problem on the Apple support discussions and they never solved it. The last posting was that Apple was notified and that was it. Nothing else ever came of it.

5. Darge13 macrumors newbie

What about trying the Firmware Restoration CD?

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/firmwarerestorationcd13.html

I believe that is the right version for your MacBook, but double check please. I do not know if it will work if you already have a good firmware but its worth a try.

The other thought is the EFI update will download if you used the software updater. Does it appear in there?