Macbook/ Bootcamp/ XP SP3 ISO

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by 92WardSenatorFE, Aug 25, 2010.

1. 92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

Hi all.

For college I'm trying to set up a bootcamp partition for my Macbook with Windows XP on it, so I will be able to use it to work on some projects for my Information System classes.

Anyway, with the program I am in I have an MSDN account through the university, so I got a copy of the XP SP3 ISO (For a CD). I have burned the ISO three times, three different ways however the Bootcamp Assistant will not recognize the disk.

Before I get too far into details, I should say that this is a early 2008 MacBook (Black) still running Leopard 10.5.8 with Bootcamp Assistant 2.0. As far as I know, everything is up to date (minus having the latest version of the OS).

I have tried three times burning the ISO. Twice on an actual XP computer, using ImgBurn and Active ISO Burner, and once on Mac using Disk Utility. All three times, I know the CD works and I can browse the files onto it (remember, burning to a CD-RW disk) however the Installer does not recognize the CD each time. "The installer disc could not be found"

I have searched and searched the internet for solultions and MacRumors but I have not found any posted information to work so far. Booting and holding "C" will simply boot Mac OS still, and holding Option (well, MacHD is the only option it displays).

Any advice on how to solve this is very welcome! Thanks.

Jake

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Have you tried the disc in a non-Apple computer to see if you get a different/similar result?

Also, out of curiosity on my part, why have you chosen to Windows XP over Windows 7?

3. 92WardSenatorFE thread starter macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

I am almost positive the disks work, I tested it the first couple times and they worked. The later one that I burned with my Mac i didn't test but I have a feeling it would end up being the same result.

Well, the XP decision is because I'm not a huge fan of "redesigned" windows, Windows Vista is the main reason I decided to start phasing out and replacing my home-based systems with Mac. Since I'm using Leopard (not snow) I don't believe Bootcamp officially supports 7 with the version that I have and I'm really waiting for the next release of OS X before I upgrade.. I just don't see any real need to buy Snow Leopard at the moment. And Vista, sorry but I really don't want Vista on my system. So thats my decision to stay with XP. (If I had SL I would try 7 but I've read too many horror stories of people who tried it in 10.5 and have had problems).

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

So you can boot into the XP setup from a different computer?

5. 92WardSenatorFE thread starter macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

Yeah no problems.

6. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Boot Camp 2.0 doesn't officially support Windows XP SP3. Boot Camp 2.1 does. I assume that's what's causing your problem.

7. 92WardSenatorFE thread starter macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

Interesting! I was unaware of that update. Is that update Leopard compatible, I wasn't able to find documentation of that. Thanks so much for the help so far.

Correction. Boot Camp 2.1 is an update for XP drivers I believe after you get XP installed, I don't think it has anything to do with the Installation of windows or the machine not recognizing the disks? sorry, thats what I gathered based upon my quick research.

8. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

You are correct there, that's what I just found out too. I'm trying to think why you can't boot from you disc on your MacBook and yet you can from everything else.

9. 92WardSenatorFE thread starter macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

Well I'm not really sure either. I've read similar cases where this has happened to other people but no real solutions to say, I have read on other parts of this forum and others about people with the same issues but either they get it resolved and don't post what they did or I guess they simply gave up. The Mac recognizes the disk, I can browse it and view the contents of the disk... its just Bootcamp won't recognize it.

10. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I assume you've tried different brands of disc media?

11. 92WardSenatorFE thread starter macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

I only have these select CD-RW disks, otherwise I would have to use a DVD-R disk, and I'm not sure if you can burn a CD ISO to a DVD-R..

12. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I believe you can. As long as the ISO can fit onto the disc, it will burn it regardless.

13. 92WardSenatorFE thread starter macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

OK. Burned a copy on a DVD-R disk, it does the same symptoms. The DVD has been confirmed to work on a normal PC.

14. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

All these different tests lead me to think that it may be a hardware problem but that can't be it. Why would you be able to access the disc from within OS X but can't get it to be access during boot up.

15. 92WardSenatorFE thread starter macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

My XP computer has booted and recognized the disk. I may not have tried booting right from the Mac's end.. hold C right? And I assume boot camp assistant should automatically start? Or should I let it go into Mac OS?

16. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Hold to the Option key instead. It should display the OS X partition along with the Windows disc to which you can select. At least, that's the experience I have had when doing it with my Windows 7 disk.

If you were to go into Boot Camp Assistant in OS X, partition the drive and then select "Begin the Windows installation", or whatever the equivalent is, is should reboot your computer and popup a black screen with "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD..."

17. 92WardSenatorFE thread starter macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

OK. Upon holding down option key, the only drive it displays is "Macintosh HD". It does not show the Windows section that has been partitioned or the Windows disc.

Upon holding down the "C" key, the screen remains white until you let go, no matter how long you hold it, and it boots Mac OS.

In the Boot Camp assistant, when you go to begin the Installation, it simply says "No Installation CD Found" and it says give it a few minutes, however it doesn't recognize the CD. Mac OS recognizes it and mounts it to the desktop, and I can browse the files of the DVD. But Boot Camp simply won't accept the CD.

18. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Something's definately not right. The boot manager should display the partition "BOOTCAMP" even when there's nothing on it.

Do you reckon it could be a permissions problem that needs to be fixed?

19. 92WardSenatorFE thread starter macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

Permissions? Could you explain please.

20. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

When I say permissions, I'm talking about file permissions. File permissions is all about which application has access to what file. If the file permissions have been corrupted in anyway, it can prevent those files from being access correctly which could prevent applications from behaving correctly.

To check the file permissions are correct under OS X, go into Disk Utility, found in the Utilities folder, select the partition you wish to check from the left hand sidebar and you'll be given a few options.

Verify Disk Permissions - checks the file system against a database of permissions to see if all files have the correct permission and display the results.

Repair Disk Permissions - check the file system against a database of permissions and repair the permissions of files that incorrect.

Verify Disk - Check to see if you disk is free from physical errors.

Repair Disk - Repair physical errors on the partition. (Can only be used if Verify Disk detects problems)

You could give Disk Utility a whirl. It may not correct the problem but it's one of those voodoo things I follow when fixing someone's computer problem, just in case:)

21. 92WardSenatorFE thread starter macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

I'm sorry and I know what you are talking about now. Its been a long time since I have done that. I repaired permissions and it found a lot to correct. I even deleted the partition, repaired the entire disk and started over creating the new partition and tried again. Yet, no luck. Still giving me the same problems, BOOTCAMP drive is not displayed when option is held.

22. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Just out of curiousity, can you boot from your Mac OS X Install DVD or even a different version of Windows? I want to know if your Mac gets pissy with all bootable discs or it just doesn't want Windows on it.

23. 92WardSenatorFE thread starter macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

Uhh. I would have to find the Mac OS X Install DVD however I have booted from it before in the past. I don't have any other versions of Windows except 98 on a bootable disk LOL. I do find it odd that it doesn't show the BOOTCAMP partition though. I really do appreciate you taking your time out and helping me right now though, this is the quickest response I've got to any of my technical support problems I've posted here or on Apple discussions.

24. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

If you want to give it a try, you could download Ubuntu, burn that to a disc and see if your MacBook will boot from that disc.

[EDIT] I'm going to have to hit the sack. It's nearly 2:30 AM where I am and I need sleep to function somewhat properly.

25. 92WardSenatorFE thread starter macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

OK Thanks for yor help though! I don't have any more disks either until I go buy some more (wasted about 5 of them trying to burn this XP iso) so I won't be able to try that right away. If anyone else has any suggestions too they are more than welcome!