Macbook boots and then freezes

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dh16fd, Jun 28, 2008.

1. dh16fd macrumors newbie

I've had my Macbook for about a year now I don't use any high end programs on it just use it for typical work...Yesterday I booted it up like i've done hundreds of times and it booted up fine until it got to the point where it would normally display the dock and desktop icons. It loaded my background fine and then freezes I've let it sit for several hours and it didnt help. I've done a reboot several times with no help, disconnected and reconnect battery and ran I guess it is the HD check that is built in and that showed no errors...please help!

2. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

i had sorta the same problem but it was every 6 months almost to the day. I have taken it to apple twice and the Genius said the second time(he was the same genius) "I have no idea what is going on here" i tried to reinstall the OS myself but it failed so i had to have them do it both times i took it(it has happened 3 times) they ran all kinds of tests (for free cuz he had no idea) and nothing came back bad. thats all i can tell u from my experience

3. thecartoonguy macrumors 6502a

thecartoonguy

Refresh possible

This could be from a few things. If you are not able to use your computer once it boots up you could always try to reinstall the O/S. However, there may be a problem with you MLB (mother board) You could always perform a Power management reset, and this may correct the problem.

4. toams7 macrumors newbie

same problem

here's what i wrote in another post, any help???

about 2 months ago my mac "died". i'm using an iBook G4 800mhz 12". when i turned it on, the gray apple logo screen appeared and then it went to the blue screen, and where the "loading mac os x" box would normally appear, nothing happened. i tried at least 6 more times, and then i put it away and i was pretty convinced that it was broken. i got home, put in the panther disk that i had, which has worked in the past when i have a problem, and tried to boot off that disk so i could put a fresh install on. i thought i just had a bug on my hard disk so that would fix my problem. but then it didnt boot into that disk, just the blue screen again. i tried holding down alt, and then c, but still nothing happened. so i turned it off, waited a day, then booted normally, and my desktop came up, i thought it was fixed, but then it froze again after about a minute and a half since i pressed the on button. so i bought a firewire cable, transfered my important files that i wanted to keep onto a friends iBook computer, and then tried target disk mode to install a new copy of Panther. it worked, but then when i booted, it just went to the blue screen. after 2 months of messing around, i found out that the longer i waited in-between bootings, the longer i had before it froze. so i waited 2 weeks, and then i had enough time wipe the drive, install panther, restart, but then it froze. i waited another week, and i was able to go through setup, then it froze when i was done. 5 days later, i booted, my desktop opened, i opened safari, and it froze. i have also tried things like reseting the NVRAM, and the PMU, but neither made any visibe change. i even took the RAM out and put it back in...

any help??? i'm not in a hurry but it would be really great if i could fix it

thanks

5. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I would backup and try doing a fresh install.

If that doesn't work than it's a hardware problem and you'll need to take it to Apple or try and fix it yourself with www.ifixit.com

6. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Oh dear this is how my old Pizza Box (aka the Macintosh LC) died. You'd boot it up, there'd be the bong, the smiley face, and then it'd halt. Reboot didn't help, it wouldn't see the floppy drive to boot from floppy.

Way back then there were no Apple genius' so we took it to a regular technician who opened the lid (man and that was easy back then, two catches and the whole computer inside was sat out neatly in front of you) and took a look at it, fired it up a few times, did some tests with what I assumed was some kind of volt meter or something, and then proclaimed the motherboard to be dead.

Fortunately I had a PM6200 to move on to. Unfortunately, your story sounds all to similar.

7. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

ok so i am done with that I just went with the AIR see signature

8. toams7 macrumors newbie

tsice19, are you talking to me or the thread starter? if you are talking to me, my problems doesnt lie in the hard drive or software or anything like that, i think its a power problem, or maybe the ram, because it works perfectly fine, im running a brand new copy of Panther, until about a minutes and a half from booting, then it freezes. i found a fix on google, with some directions from that ifixit place, ill try that one weekend when i have nothing else to do.. if that doesnt work, i bought the laptop on ebay for 400, i can sell it for parts and get 150 to 200. thanks for your help...