MacBook bought on eBay... a good deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bknight629, Jan 27, 2010.

1. bknight629 macrumors newbie

Here's the story - I waited until the event today to see if they would announce a new range of MBPs. As you know, they didn't. Annoyed, I went on eBay to try and find something cheap. I am new to Macbooks so I'm not after anything particularly fancy right now.

Anyway, I find this Macbook for about £420 (about $680). It has the following specs:

2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo processor
    1 GB RAM
    80 GB hard-drive
    13.3' screen
    Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory
    Preinstalled Mac OS X and "other bundled software".

Here is the seller's description:

"I bought this Macbook when I was at University and have used it for the internet only. I know that this is terrible as it has such potential but I don't have the time to learn to use a mac as I am used to microsoft. I am selling it to buy a laptop that I can use for my new job.

I still have the original box and all the cd's etc that came with it and have a really red apple laptop case that I will include in the sale.

It is in perfect working order and is scratch free as I have had it in the case the whole time. It looks brand new and will make someone who knows how to use mac's very happy."

As far as buying Macs go, this is the cheapest one I've seen for a while. A few questions: Do you think it's a good price? Is it easy to install more RAM on a Macbook like this?

Thanks for any input.

2. blowncob macrumors newbie

no thats not a good deal. Thats not even a unibody macbook, the newest one out now....id say return it and try and pick up a new unibody macbook for $799 from herehttp://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0321997

3. lbodnar macrumors regular

If you are looking for a MacBook with intention to upgrade it then you will be much better off picking up already upgraded unit off eBay. Otherwise it makes no sense. You will end up with spare parts and will blow a budget on new accessories for a used unit.

Get the one that does not need upgrading.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

This is a May '06 MacBook and it somewhat upgradeable. You can put in a larger HDD and you can increase the RAM to 2GB. It will run the current Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

In my opinion, it's a nice Mac beginner model but the price is a little high for that old of a model.

5. bknight629 thread starter macrumors newbie

According to the Apple website, the specs of this represent the Late 2007 release. It is upgradable to 4GB RAM so I will probably buy another 2GB and then eventually try and sell it on again for a bit of profit.

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

The Late '06 through the current release are Core 2 Duo. You have the specs above as Core Duo which is the May '06 only. You may want to re-check your specs.

Wait just a moment.... your video is the x3100 which didn't appear until late '07 releases so my bad. I read too much into the absence of the 2 in core 2 duo.

7. bluefox9er macrumors regular

dont touch stuff like this from fleabay with a 10ft stick....and do you *really* believe the seller would only use this computer to just use the internet only? that blatant lie is a red flag right there..no one buys gear like this and 'just' uses it for the internet..and it's overpriced by atleast £150