Macbook broke, apple giving me the run around, need advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hankkosovo, Oct 6, 2009.

1. hankkosovo macrumors member

I apologise in advance if this is the wrong forum, mods please move it. Also, this is quite long.

On Friday my 2.66ghz unibody broke, it would stall on load, this is the third time that the machine has broke, the first time the screen flickered, the second time, airport kept turning off.

I got an appointment at the Trafford centre genius bar, because of the previous problems and the amount of time I've spent with my machine being broke (i make my income from my mac) I asked if I could just have the machine replaced, they told me that they did not have the authority to do that and I would have to speak to apple care, okay I said. They then told me that the problem was the hard drive, it just needed a new one. They said the waiting time for repair was 2-3 weeks, they then said that because the waiting time was so long I could try the arndale centre, or just replace it myself. I decided to go to the arndale centre store and got an appointment the same day.

The arndale store told me the exact same thing, that it was the hard drive, and that the wait was 2-3 weeks for repair, then they said because of the waiting time they recommend that I just get a new hard drive and repair it myself, 'cool' I said, 'what store do you recommend to get one from', they told me and gave me directions, I got the hard drive, reformatted and reinstalled, the exact same problem.

So the next day I rang apple care explained my problem they put me through to tech support and I explained my problem again, tech support told me that they could have it picked up the next day, repaired and back to me in a few days. Because of the previous problems with the machine and the fact that I had just spent £90 on a new hd because they told me to, I said that wasn't good enough and I just want it replaced.

So tech support put me through to customer services, who I had to explain my problem to again because tech support informed them incorrectly. Customer services told me that they just needed to check with the arndale store and then they will see about getting it replaced. They told me they would ring me back in a while.

I waited all day then received a voice mail telling me that they couldn't reach the store, it was probably being refurbished or painted, wtf! I called them back the next day (today), they told me they spoke to the arndale store and that what I said was correct, but the genius I spoke to only advised to get a new hd, that I was told they prefer I leave it in the store and that the waiting time was only 5-6 days. Because of this I would have to take it back to them and leave it with them.

At this point I was annoyed, my machine had been broke for the third time, already this time for 5 days, 3 of those days I had spent jumping through apple hoops. I explained to customer services that that was not what I was told and yesterday it was suggested by them that It would just be replaced after they confirmed what i told them, and that tech support who I spoke to before customer services said they could repair the machine in a few days. Customer services then told mes that tech support was wrong, it would take at least 2 weeks, and that I needed to speak to the store about getting it replaced. I then told customer services that the stores told me they had no authority to replace them, customer services then told me that is incorrect. This went back and forth for a few minutes until I got very annoyed, shouted 'f**k' then hung up the phone.

So I went to book a genius bar appointment with arndale but cant get anything till tomorrow, I have however managed to get an appointment with the traford centre tonight.

This is the third time my machine has broke, I can't afford the time to have it repaired yet again, I'm out £90 and every apple person I speak to tells me a different thing, and that every other appple person I have spoke to is wrong.

I need some advice?

2. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

When you go to the apple store just keep saying no to replacing the hard drive and they will eventually give in and if they don't ask to speak with the manager and he/she will most likely replace it.

Good luck

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Just remember don't go in all 'guns blazing' as this will get the geniuses back up straight away. Just emphasise the point that you have followed what they suggested and that it is still not fixed and you are feeling let down by apple who's customer service you thought should have been excellent.

Good luck! and hope you get an understanding genius.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Two things:

First I'd escalate it to Apple management. Usually replacing a computer is only done after the 3rd repair on the same part.

Second If you're using it professionally, you should have a backup computer.

5. hankkosovo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for all your advice guys

Should I asked to see the management as soon as I get to the genius bar? I didn't think to ask for management over the phone.

I know I really should have a backup computer, but my money is tight at the moment (I'm going to get one with my next pay), and I really didn't think that my machine would brake 3 times in 5 months.

6. phineas macrumors regular

phineas

More than likely the manager is going to want the whole story and exactly what was done and what the genius bar has done for you.

Some managers would rather hand over a new system and not deal with the drama, than there are some that do it they way corporate says to do it.

Goto the story with your computer and story strait in your head and to the genius bar first, let them do there thing and see what they say , than if not satisfied ask for the manager, if still not satisfied ask for the district managers name and phone number, kill them with politeness, do NOT get upset and throw a fit.

Good Luck
    Oh and maybe a small prayer wouldn't hurt either

7. yaroldb macrumors 6502

Man I hate to read stories like yours. The only advise I can give is to talk to the manager. Be sure to be polite and not lose your temper. I understand you are upset (I'd be too) but being a tool will get you no help. Just keep cool and ask for help. If you do not like what they tell you then tell them that, in a nice way. Good luck, keep us updated.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

I was thinking more in terms of trying to contact Apple management like a supervisor at Apple care or customer service rather than the store manager.

9. prodigee macrumors 6502a

In my experience the store managers are usually very nice (if you are nice to them) and will replace the computer if there have been a few repairs.

10. hankkosovo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all your advice guys.

I've just got back from my appointment at the Trafford centre. I spoke to the genius bar guy who told me that he would just repair it which would have taken two weeks, so I asked to see the manager. The manager came and he was actually the area manager for both the trafford and arndale store.

I showed him my first post in this thread because it was easier than me explaining it for 10 minutes again, in such a noisy environment. He was very polite and told me that the stuff that had happened to me should'nt have happened and that getting the machine replaced would be difficult but he would book me in priority at the arndale store which will take 3-5 days. I need to drop the compute off there tomorrow.

I didn't push for it to be replaced because I was being a p***y and was a bit thrown by how nice he was being.

So now it will be fixed in 5 days, hopefully for good this time.

11. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Glad you are slowly getting things sorted, just hope this time your macbook lasts longer!

12. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I'm not trying to dismiss your experiences but it seems like they gave you multiple opportunities to have the computer serviced under their care and you repeatedly refused to do so because you did not want to go without a machine, and did not seem prepared to accept any answer short of getting a straight up replacement. It seems more like you were the one giving them the run-around by trying to have the computer replaced outright or have it repaired that day, which isn't really a feasible option as others need their computers repaired too. 2-3 weeks sounds a little extreme but that was probably a conservative estimate. What I did when I had to get my optical drive replaced was say that I would rather keep the machine in my possession until the replacement optical drive was delivered to the store, then drop the machine off to get it fixed. This minimizes the time without the computer as you do not need to leave your mac sitting at the store useless while the replacement parts get delivered.

There is also a difference between not wanting to be without the computer and absolutely not being able to afford the downtime. We all don't want to lose the use of the computer but it's just inconvenience. Legitimately not being able to afford going w/o a computer is not that common an occurrence and as someone pointed out if you truly are in that situation and have no backup, that is your poor planning and not Apple's fault or responsibility to fix. "Money's tight" and "didn't expect it to break 3 times" are not valid excuses either if the computer is truly in a mission-critical role.

Glad it seems to be getting resolved though. It does suck to have to get service but at least in my experience the repair process went faster than they had quoted me so I was not out of computer use for very long.

Ruahrc

13. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Its good that they gave you priority, and just so you know normally the Apple stores are very quick about repairs, I had to get my screen replaced, they told me 3-5 days, after 24 hours (literally 24 hours) it was ready. Their service there is great. I hope you have a quick repair like mine.

14. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

BS. I think you'd be much less egalitarian toward Apple if you'd ever had the bad fortune of getting one of their lemon machines, instead of getting the majority which have little to no issues over their lifespan.

You have no idea what it's like to get to the point that you expect your mac to break so consistently that you begin to hate using it, and are backing up nearly every session because you've had your harddrive fail twice, and lock up so bad you had to have it wiped, or worried that you're going to have some other weird issue you can't forsee, like having your backlight fail for no discernable reason.

"Oh don't worry, we'll fix it!" is great the first couple of times, but when they're taking your computer to "fix" it every three weeks it's very hard to be a good consumer.

Especially when they do it until you're out of warranty and then shrug.

15. hankkosovo thread starter macrumors member

Exactly! I have only been so adamant about just getting it replaced this time because of the previous issues that I have already had with the machine, all the problems suggest that there is an inherent problem with the machine and taking it in to be fixed again and again is completely stupid.

16. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

17. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I'm not sure what "inherent to the machine" raelly means. The case has a curse on it, making all the internal components break? Maybe you should be pushing for a logic board replacement or something. Replace the defective part and the trouble would be resolved.

Apple's replacement policy is pretty clear it seems like you need 3 failures of the same part in a row, or a number of major repairs (i.e. new screen, logic board replacement, etc) to occur before they will replace. If you haven't got to that point yet then you can't realisitcally expect a replacement to occur. Saying you need special treatment in front of others because you "can't afford the downtime" and also being rude and swearing at the customer service reps doesn't help either.

18. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Apples policy can be what ever it wants - but if UK law says different - then Apple should follow the law.

19. hankkosovo thread starter macrumors member

So I thought i'd give you guys an update seen as you asked me to earlier in the thread.

As I said earlier I dropped my macbook off at the Arndale store, and waited for them to contact me. 5 days came and they didn't contact me, although I was guaranteed by the manager that it would take 5 days maximum, I decided to wait till the 7th day to phone them as there official repair time is 5-7 days.

So I rang them and was told that it was being repaired that day and that I would get a call later in the day. I did get a call and the call was to tell me that the parts the ordered to fix the problem didn't fix the problem so they would have to order some different parts to see if that would fix it, so it will be a few more days until I got it back.

I told that guy that I wasn't happy with this at all and then told him what I had been guaranteed by the manager, he told me he'd ring me back in a few minutes. He did ring me back and told me that because of all the problems that I'd had and with the machine and with them, that now they will just replace it.

So I went in to the store to get the replacement, and as I bought my machine before the summer updates, I got an upgrade! Sweet! Now I have a brand new machine (that I hope doesn't brake) with a slightly faster processor than before.

Also, the start up bong on this one sounds different...odd.

20. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Great to hear it all went well.

If you just keep to your story, they will just give in eventually. Thats how I got my iPod Shuffle 3G replaced with a broken clip :)

21. zbasarab macrumors member

lol reminds me of last winter. i bought the new macbook unibody. after 2 weeks it wouldnt turn on, it would just hang at the beachball.

applecare ended up telling me to reinstall the OS because it wouldnt repair. it worked for a few hours then same problem.

after several days of applecare trying to fix the problem and reinstallin the OS, turned out it was some probem with the Safari 4 beta. I had to bring it to my local store threatening a full return. they searched macrumors and other websites for hints at the problem and discovered the safari 4 beta had caused similar problems with others.

guess this stuff just goes to show you how in the dark even tech support is about tech problems lol.:D