Macbook broken - PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by luBby, Nov 7, 2011.

1. luBby macrumors newbie

Hi,

i don't really know how this happen but i think my litle brother just wanted to reset the operating system and now, the pc when i turn it on, apears all white and a question mark flashing!!

Please, there's someone that can help me?

Regards

2. mwhities macrumors 6502a

A Google.com search will help you.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1440

3. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

What do you mean 'reset the operating system' ?

4. luBby thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, i mean format to install a new operating system.

Regards

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

The flashing question mark means that it cannot find an OS to boot. You will need to reinstall OS X.

I'd suggest that you keep your little brother away from your computer from now on ;)

6. luBby thread starter macrumors newbie

Mwhities, i check the link you said but isn't the problem. I know that my brother before appeared the white screen, delete the drive disk, insert the cd boot and restart. Then, a reminder appeared saying that didn't find the hard disk and after trying a several times restarting the pc it happened.

7. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

Take the install disc and insert it when you start the computer up and reinstall the operating system, looks like your brother only did it halfway. good luck

8. luBby thread starter macrumors newbie

Sonhascome, you're rigth, maybe i should start saying all.
    That's was the first thing he made but the cd didn't run and said that couldn't find the hard disk and never starts reinstalling. Then appear the white screen with the question mark flashing.
    I try remove the cd and can't do it, but my brother said that he had the same problem before the white cames. The cd driver not responds because is "not installed", as he delete the hard disk? Please help me i really don't know what to do!!

Regards

9. luBby thread starter macrumors newbie

10. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Put the original recovery cd or a retail install disc.
    Boot the computer and hold the option key.
    That should let you select the boot source. You want to pick the cd.

Then you can install osx again.
    If the install process can. Of find the disk, then you need a new hard drive.

Was everything working before your brother tried to reinstall the OS?

11. luBby thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    everything was fine but... i do what you said and doesn't appear anything, all whyte and the mouse arrow! And can't pull the cd!

12. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I suspect that both the hard disk and the optical drive are now dead or dying.....

You are going to need to use another Mac to get you out of this mess.

13. luBby thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the same thing!! And you think that can do it with other mac? Tell me please what i have to do!

14. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

I would start with changing out the memory modules to something known working and see if anything changes (or if yours has two of them, take one out, try it, put it back in and then remove the other and then try it again), then from there if that doesn't solve anything, i would test the disks in a desktop computer to see if they work.

15. luBby thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing solve my problem. Does anybody already had the same? This can be fixed by me?

16. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Get another Mac, boot it into target disk mode and connect them via FireWire. From there you can use the optical drive of that Mac with the one you're trying to reinstall the OS on. Also, try reseating both the HDD and optical drive.

17. luBby thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot...i will do it tomorrow. Thanks.

18. flir67 macrumors 6502

take out the battery and make sure he didn't take out the harddrive as a joke.

to eject cd, power on macbook hold down eject button while it starts up..if that doesn't get it out... what did he do to it.. or is there a cd even in there.

if it will boot via cd, boot into the installing menu, at the top menu choose "utilities" and choose disc utility to see if that works..