MacBook broken: repair or upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacNiall, Jan 18, 2015.

1. MacNiall macrumors newbie

Hey, my MacBook Pro seems to have fried itself last night. I've lost everything on my hard drive I think because it can't find any of the system boot files. I'm annoyed, but I've had it two years now and I was thinking of upgrading anyway so it's not too big a deal I guess.

I'm just not sure whether I should pay to have it repaired and wait for the new Broadwell retina Macs, or buy a new one now. The retina Mac I was looking to get would've been the top spec one, with the higher end processor too. I'd only be using it for the Internet and all the usual stuff along with gaming here and there (stuff like Sim City and Civ V is what I tend to play).

So, should I wait? I'm torn over what to do.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What's the cost of the repair? If its just a few hundred dollars for a new drive, then get it fixed. If its a over a thousand because of the logic board, then buy a new one now.

3. MacNiall thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I've set a genius appointment for next Saturday (it's the only one I can get to unfortunately), so I guess I'll find out then?

I mean I don't want to pay more than the value of the machine for repairs, that'd be stupid. I got it for £900 to begin with because of education discount, so.

4. Famousaudio macrumors newbie

tell you the answer now... buy a new one, as you already know able parts + labor are not cheap

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, but without knowing the repair cost, its hard to recommend a course of action.