Macbook broken screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dude19, May 2, 2011.

1. dude19 macrumors newbie

My macbook fell from a stack of tires in the garage, I managed to catch it before it hit the ground the I guess when I caught it, I damaged the screen.

It started as a black crack but then my screen started to turn white. It has slowly been growing and getting larger. see picture.

I was going to try and sell it, I got it in 2008? it is 2.1 GHz 1 GB RAM 120 gb.

Otherwise in good condition with the box and all the discs.

what is a fair price for craigslist?

Attached Files:

2. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

it's just the LCD which is not very expensive, were you planning on getting a new computer anyway? Fair market value for that computer (+/- based on your specs) will get you around $200-$250 for it

The LCD is an annoying fix and it's one of the few that I dread doing. It's easy when you have hundreds of those repairs under your belt, but is time consuming and quite boring.

3. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

You can get that LCD in and out in under ten minutes and double the resale value!

Just make sure you ignore every video & guide that has you removing the hinge cover, and any set of instructions from ibrokeit.com

4. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

can you get to the backlight cable by just pulling back on the center cover under the screen bezel?

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

6. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

sweet...I didn't think there was enough "give" on that center cover to get to the inverter board. Cable routing can kiss my *** from now on. Thanks for that info, display replacements on the black/white books has always been my most disliked repair

btw-I think you're our supplier for LCD's (I'm the bench tech for Dr. Brendan in greenwich)

7. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Hah.

Small world.

No non unibody repair should take longer than 15 minutes, with the right technique. Someday when I finally have a workshop that isn't a poorly lit messy recording studio, I'd like to publish a series of videos on how to do this stuff the right way, there are so many websites dedicated to telling people the long way around. The more you open, the more you break!

8. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

*iBook, excluded

had to make a little exception there =)

9. dude19 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I could easily replace the screen myself, I wouldn't want to sell it. When I looked for how much to replace it by some vendors it was ~$200-250. I couldn't justify that for a computer that is 3 years old when I could buy a new one for $950 and get a touch/printer for free (when they start that deal again)

If I could buy a used screen for ~$90 and easily do it myself I would but I have heard horror stories for do it yourself.

10. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

You can get the screens for about $120. People like myself fix it including return shipping for $160, and next week, the screens will be in the double digit range again, new.

I still think DIY is a good idea, as long as you don't take some messy route involving removing the hinge cover or keyboard or display assembly.

11. dude19 thread starter macrumors newbie

why are the screens dropping price? What will be your charge for replacement next week then?

12. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Toshiba began producing a screen of identical specification to the older ones that are no longer produced. This new part is 100% compatible.

The LCDs sold now are the original. They are difficult to find and in low quantity, which makes them expensive to acquire. Eventually they will be completely gone, or only used/refurbished will be in circulation.

http://rossmanngroup.com/blog/?p=15

Once the new Toshibas drop, they will be considerably cheaper as there will no longer be a shortage of them.