Macbook & BT Broadband

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hicks., Jun 5, 2007.

1. Hicks. macrumors regular

Hicks.

I'm at my wits end! Was wondering if you guys had any bright ideas. Here's the story.

For about two weeks now my broadband speed has been averaging 110kbps, as confirmed by these two sites:

http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/speedtest/ and http://www.speedtester.bt.com/

I've spoken to their 'off shore' help desk 5 times and they're even making me doubt myself! Basically I'm stuck in a loop between them asking me the same questions (what modem, reset it, try test socket on master telephone point, leave it off for 30 minutes, disable fire wall etc etc) and them saying that an engineer has been sent out and there is nothing wrong with the line.

When I reported the fault they confirmed that the speed was indeed 250kbps, whenever I've asked them to duplicate the test the results are coming out as inconclusive!

I've finally managed to get the UK on shore telephone number, after kicking up a fuss (which amusingly requires an expiring pin number) and the latest response is we are sending out another engineer.

As a side note, I think I'm at the limit of the exchange, I've had loads of issues with my connection over the years, I used to have very annoying intermittent connection issues.

My question is, is there any way that this could be due to a setting on my macbook?

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

no not your macbook

i've got macbook and the bt homehub crap - turned off the homehub wifi security and restricted to 3 ip addresses mac+xbox360+windows pc

wifi works much better that way i find - try pluging directly in to your router with ethernet cable

turn all router stuff off, turn on wait 2 min and try again

3. Hicks. thread starter macrumors regular

Hicks.

Good idea with direct connection.... but unfortunately no change :mad:

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

what about changing the filter - what does 192.168.1.254 say about your connection speed ?

5. Hicks. thread starter macrumors regular

Hicks.

I have one of those new master sockets with an internal filter. I have took the frontplate off and plugged an external filter in to the test socket, and reset the hub a few times.

See the attachment for the IP stuff. Thanks for your help btw :)

Attached Files:

6. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

looks like it should work - try advanced and User admin - pass admin and check wifi settings are mixed and not 11b only

7. Hicks. thread starter macrumors regular

Hicks.

Interface type states 802.11b/g so I assume that is mixed...

8. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

looks like you just got a crappy line - mine was once like that too :(

9. Hicks. thread starter macrumors regular

Hicks.

Ah well thanks for your help. BT did mention that if an engineer came and it was an internal (AKA my fault) then they would charge me. So at least I've done all I can!

Thanks again :)