Macbook:Buy Blackbook now or wait for Aluminum?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JWM12, Aug 4, 2008.

  1. JWM12 macrumors newbie

    Aug 4, 2008
    So...I've been lurking in the forums here for weeks now following the progress of the rumors surrounding the upcoming update of the macbooks. I decided months ago I want to make the switch from Windows to Mac since I do NOT like Vista and all the bugs.

    I was almost all set to order a Black Macbook until I started to hear about the Montevina update, so I thought "Hey, I might as well wait for those." However, now it's mushroomed into aluminum cases, glass trackpads, apple based chips, ETC. and as each day passes, I wonder more and more WHEN I should get my macbook. I've done my research, and I have the following concerns:

    Current models:
    Cracking plastic? How common IS this?

    (Upcoming) Aluminum Models:

    Bad Wi-Fi reception? This is how I'll be using the internet at college...
    Denting/scratching. How badly?
    Biggest concern--How buggy are they ususally with the first release? I'll want to get it right when they come out, as I've been waiting enough but I don't want a buggy machine.

    If you could give me advice I'd really appreciate it. If you love/hate anything please let me know, but please give me a REASON. I need to know WHY things are good/bad in order to make a decision.

    I just want a good machine that'll last me through the next 4 years of college.
    Thanks in advance:)
  2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

    Sep 30, 2003
    I would buy the blackbook now because I hate aluminum and it is a proven design used for years.
  3. jroller macrumors regular

    Jul 24, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    I think you cannot go wrong with either choice. If you want/need to buy now, buy now. If not, you can wait to see what exactly is being offered and choose.

    Personally, I love the aluminum on my MBPro and believe it is less likely to be an issue than the plastic cases.

    I will buy a new MBPro with the new release. I could buy now, but as I have often said, it feels a lot better to buy right after a new release than right before it.
  4. RainForRent macrumors 6502


    May 31, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    It's still not a proven thing there will even be aluminum Macbooks. If you want a computer now, buy a Blackbook and enjoy it. You know you will. But if you can wait it out, who knows, there might be something good in the pipe. You could always sell the Blackbook on ebay and probably not even lose that much money, if you're quick.
  5. JWM12 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 4, 2008
    Yeah...that is definitely somthing I've been thinking about.

    And I really could wait, I'm just not sure if the newer one (if it is aluminum) is worth it. I'm sure I would be perfectly happy with the black macbook..

Share This Page