Macbook... Buy now or play the waiting game?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevo86, Jun 23, 2007.

  1. stevo86 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2006
    Location:
    Newfoundland, Canada
    #1
    So i've decided to purchase a new Macbook, mainly for school purposes. I've also convinced my mother to make the switch and dump her old Dell for a new Macbook. Only one problem, buy them now or wait for a real upgrade?

    For my purchase i'll be getting the base model since i have a mac pro to do any work that would require real power. Basically i'm just looking for portable word processing and email. I kinda wanna buy it now since they just got a small update, and then I'll get to use it all summer. I'm definitely buying it by September. My question is does anyone expect any major updates by then? Namely Santa Rosa or an even smaller size than 13.3 inch.

    As for my mothers purchase, I'm getting the feeling that she doesn't want to wait for an update. The choices available now would more than satisfy her needs.

    One more thing... for anyone who has purchased one of these new Macbooks, have there been any documented problems with them so far? Extreme heat, yellow color, fan problems... the usual?
     
  2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    Buy now, or you'll wait forever.
     
  3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

    Cybergypsy

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    Central Florida!
    #3
    LOL.....:eek:
     
  4. tennismanclay macrumors regular

    tennismanclay

    Joined:
    May 11, 2007
    Location:
    US-Texas
    #4
    I would go now..

    If i were you i would just go ahead and buy now. I sadly doubt they will put Santa rosa in the macbook before next revision which would most likely be after September, maybe october when leopard comes out? AS for documents n such i have a top of the line blackbook and i use microsoft word and occasionaly Neoffice (free) and they seem to work great. You could do that and be listening to music without a problem at all.

    I could be wrong, but i would buy it now, like i said i dont think a SR revision in macbook till october at least.

    But nobody knows, they could release it next tuesday.:eek:


    Clay
     
  5. jamesybsu macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2007
    #5
    I have had the same problem as you, trying to decide if I should wait or not, but the thing is if you need it get it now and if you can wait till school, wait. Apple is going to come out with something new and better anyway, they always do. Now if they do that next week or over Christmas, we don't know (but thats why I check this site daily, cause they usually do know :) ) But its not like your computer is going to be so outdated with their next upgrade it won't work, especially if your just using it for word processing and e-mail, I think you will be just fine with what they have now ;)
     
  6. Kevo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2007
    #6
    You might as well buy it now. There's no way they are going to update to Santa Rosa any time real soon seeing as how there are 4-6 week shipping delays on the MacBook Pros. Besides from the numbers it doesn't look like it would be much of a speed difference anyway. The only thing you would probably gain by waiting is faster built in video which *may* be suitable for some gaming. If you aren't planning on playing the latest FPS on it, I would say go ahead and buy now. Of course if you could hold out until October you could get Leopard on it.

    The way my luck is going by the time my MBP ships it will have Leopard pre-loaded. :-(
     

Share This Page