MacBook buy now or wait for montevina ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Aaargh!, Jun 20, 2008.

  1. Aaargh! macrumors member

    Aaargh!

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2007
    #1
    I'm planning to buy a MacBook in the near future, should I wait until Intel releases Montevina (14 july) or not ? (I'm willing to wait one or two months more if Apple will upgrade the MacBooks soon after Montevina's release) or is Apple expected to first upgrade the MBP and the MB a few months later ?
     
  2. Mjmar macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    #2
    I say just go for it now... To me the extra performance boost is not worth the wait. The current Macbooks have more than enough power. Your real concern should be a design change, which is possible in the coming months.
     
  3. Holmes89 macrumors regular

    Holmes89

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #3
    I disagree with buying now unless you need to. Montevina is supposed to have a lot of newer features like WiMax and a new graphics card as well as a bus speed update. Overall it will be much better I think but if you need it now go ahead and buy it but if you are waiting just realize that the update will most likely not happen for a little bit after Montevina is released so you will most likely be looking at late July-August.
     
  4. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

    rockthecasbah

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2005
    Location:
    Moorestown, NJ
    #4
    July 14th is the official shipping date of the processors, not when Apple is expected to incorporate them into their machines. I wouldn't hold your breath to see them anytime before early September. From then on, probably into October you will see the updates, which in all honesty will be minor until the Nehelem updates in [probably mid-] 2009. If you feel like waiting a few months isn't a problem you can do so, but otherwise I say buy now and enjoy because the difference between the two revisions will be modest...
     
  5. Aaargh! thread starter macrumors member

    Aaargh!

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2007
    #5
    That's the point, Montevina won't be a little performance upgrade, the graphics is supposed to be 3 times faster, faster bus speeds and DDR3 ram, etc.
     
  6. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

    vendettabass

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2006
    Location:
    Seoul, South Korea
    #6
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

    I'm waiting for sure
     
  7. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    #7
    If you need it now, buy it now. The current machines are quite excellent, and the fact of the matter is there's *always* going to be something newer/better/faster that's right around the corner.
     
  8. Alx9876 macrumors 6502

    Alx9876

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Location:
    NorCal
    #8
    The new Macbooks will also have the Air's LED screen. To me that alone is worth the wait.

    The current Macbook LCD screen is horrible. Too dark compared to LED. For me I am waiting. It's not really the hardware that I am worried about because the current Macbooks have great power with 4 gigs of ram too.

    But I would love to have a new Macbook that looks like a smaller version of the Macbook Pro.

    Aluminum casing with LED screen is all I want. Can't wait. I have the money ready to go but I will not take the plunge until I see the new Macbooks.

    My current computer will have to do for now. Sucks too, because I am using a PC and hate everything about it.
     
  9. keltorsori macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    #9
    The full montevina chipset is not going to be shipping until August. Apple may release something then (unlikely) or three months later, who knows. Apple will NOT be shipping anything with WiMax in the next 18 months, so if you're waiting for that, be prepared to wait a lot longer. As well, the integrated graphics in montevina CAN be a lot faster, but you have no idea what version of the chipset Apple will actually use, so discount earlier statements about "three times faster". DDR3 is also unlikely on the Macbook for a long time due to its present cost.

    So...basically what will come out of the montevina upgrades are slightly faster processors and likely slightly faster graphics. If you're willing to wait for the bump, have fun, but if a machine that is shipping now will meet your needs, go ahead and go for it.
     
  10. gdcolwell macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2008
    Location:
    Meadow Lake Sk. Canada
    #10
    I just got my new MacBook a few days ago, and i absolutely love it. I say, if you need the comp now, buy now, if your willing to wait for monteniva, wait.
     
  11. record guy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2008
    #11
    I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I need a notebook in the near future, but don't feel like buying a Macbook if there's going to be a major design overhaul. Especially the Pro because the old powerbook-esque housing is dated...not that any of the that impacts the performance of the actual product itself.
     
  12. kabunaru Guest

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
    #12
    Buy the Montevina MacBook, here's the rumour about it:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/15/apples-next-macbook-due-in-q3-2008/
     
  13. The Killer Fuzz macrumors member

    The Killer Fuzz

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    #13
    im in this exact same situation....im so confused
     
  14. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2008
    #14
    you read my mind

     
  15. odysseus macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    #15
    Does anyone have the URL of the web site that tracks by product type when updates to Apple products are due? I can't seem to find it...
     
  16. magiic macrumors regular

    magiic

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2008
    Location:
    Victoria
    #16

    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/


    this?
     
  17. dabills80 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2008
    #17
    I go to college in mid August and I was wondering if the new Montevina chip will come out in time. I am probably getting the basic macbook and that as of right now does not have a big enough hard drive. Is it worth the wait considering my time frame?
     
  18. DarkRevenant macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2008
    #18
    Bump this post...same situation for me.
     
  19. odysseus macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    #19
    Yes, thanks. According to that site, neither the MacBook nor the MacBook Pro is due for an update soon, since both are in the middle of their product cycles. Each has about 60 days (2 months) until a refresh, which would take us to the end of August or possibly into September.
     
  20. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

    andiwm2003

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2004
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #20
    if you can wait up to 8 weeks then wait. within that time you get a faster GPU for sure, maybe larger HD, maybe even a case redesign. waiting a few weeks isn't that bad.

    if you need it now then go and buy because the above mentioned changes won't be that big either. the gpu will still be low end and the case redesign is pure speculation anyway.

    i don't need a macbook so i'll wait.
     
  21. odysseus macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    #21
    It's a tough call for me, because I have budgetary funds that expire on 8/31 :( The Back to School edu promo would seem to be to get rid of MacBook and MacBook Pro stock, wouldn't it? It ends 9/15.
     
  22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #22
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

    LED screen and case redesign are pure speculation. Ditto wimax. All we know for sure is better fsb (*small* performance bump) and new graphics (but what apple's drivers will be like is anyone's guess). So wait if you want, but do it with realistic expectations.
     
  23. zango macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2008
    #23
    do you think they will be out before the education promo ends? even just the redesigned ones?
     
  24. rtmadden macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2008
    Location:
    Maryland
    #24
    Short of an educated guess, everything contained in this post is speculation: WiMax, LED screens, case redesign. None of it is definite. If you need a new notebook now then so be it. Otherwise, wait for a rev. A to get buggy with.
     

Share This Page