MacBook - buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tlbwriter, Oct 23, 2010.

  1. tlbwriter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2008
    #1
    So, I know the buyer's guide says the MacBook is nearing the end of a cycle, but it also says it's usually updated in October or November. Does the release of the new MBA, without an announcement of an updated MacBook, mean the MacBook isn't going to be updated soon? Or are the two completely unrelated?
     
  2. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    #2
    MBA update is not connected to MBP or MB. Next update for Macbooks is not likely until Feb or later.
     
  3. shikimo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2007
    Location:
    Lyon, France
    #3
    4+ months?? Maybe, but unless you've got some inside info you can't say that with such confidence...especially for the lower MBP models, who will be beyond their average update cycle in a few weeks and have traditionally spared uber-long breaks between updates. Even the MBs have a decent shot at something before Christmas...

    Still, you're right about the lack of connection with the MBA updates, and the high-end MBPs got a silent bump this week...if I'm the OP I'd go with the good 'ol logic of "buy it if you need it and don't look back, wait a few weeks/months if it's not crucial."
     
  4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #4
    If you have a Microcenter sore nearby then consider a 13" MBP as they are selling them for the price of a regular MB, $999. This makes for a good investment over a MB as you get 2x the RAM. firewire, backlit keys and a more solid Al body.
     
  5. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    #5
    They might do a spec bump before feb, but C2D are being discontinued soon and the next round is Sandy Bridge which isn't due till early 2011. Many posters on this forum are also saying no updates till 2011.
     
  6. SidBala macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2010
    #6
    Now that even the MBA 11.6 has more pixels than the MBP 13, at the very least a screen res bump is due soon.
     
  7. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    #7
    They won't bump the screen res until they do the next major upgrade to ix processors in Q1 2011. why would it need more pixels right now?
     
  8. vistadude macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2010
    #8
    The new macbook would require a very different architecture because you can't have a core i3/i5/i7 and integrated Nvidia graphics, so you need a discrete Nvidia card or intel integrated graphics, which apple doesn't like. They need to make a good solution, which I don't think would hit until 2011 at the earliest (They won't make the processor and graphics better than the pro series, so it'll take awhile).
     
  9. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

    rnelan7

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2009
    Location:
    Boise
    #9
    I would say buy now, worst comes to worst you can sell and rebuy
     
  10. briansolomon macrumors 6502

    briansolomon

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2005
    Location:
    Murfreesboro, TN
    #10
    Keep it. Wait for the screen resolution bump on the next update. Macbooks haven't seen a significant upgrade worthy spec update since their release, IMO. Or at least not as significant as the iBook to MacBook update- (widescreen, glossy, windows capability, webcam)
     
  11. tlbwriter thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2008
    #11
    Thanks for the input. Don't really *need* it until Feb so I think we'll wait.
     
  12. Apple NZ, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2011

    Apple NZ macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2010
    Location:
    New Zealand
  13. THX1139 macrumors 68000

    THX1139

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    #13
    Having an outdated and end-of-line processor has not stopped Apple from using them before. Actually, unless Apple has a custom designed processor, they are usually the last to adopt newer technology. Sandy Bridge is due early 2011, but who knows when Apple will use them. Probably 6 months later. Reason? They save a ton of money on buying end of line processors and the average consumer doesn't know the difference. Apple markets design and innovation, not speed and latest technology. For one example: USB 3.0.
     
  14. shikimo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2007
    Location:
    Lyon, France
    #14
    Agreed: that would be more consistent than an early adoption of the latest (and most expensive) processor. I think we'll see some sort of minor spec bump or price drop before xmas, but I wouldn't be surprised if the new processors don't show up until spring or even summer...which would mean some sort of patch-y mini-update in February, just to keep it from looking too out-of-date.

    In any case, the C2D is only "stale" because something new is on the way; the simple fact is that most buyers don't need anything better.
     
  15. sweetie81 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2007
    #15


    Buy
     

Share This Page