Macbook: Buy now or wait?

hansoffate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
14
0
Hey,

College starts in a month and I want to get a laptop. I've been doing A LOT of research. I have decided to convert from my Linux and Windows desktop. (parellells + Windows sp?) Anyways, I have heard rumors of a new macbook. Should I wait for it/leapord? How much does a new OS upgrade costs? I really don't feel like buying a macbook, then upgrading after 4 months. (remember, im a college student, I don't have the money to throw away)

What should I do?

Thanks
-Hans
 

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
6,302
1
An upgrade to the MacBooks may happen at the same time the MacBook Pros are upgraded. The MacBook Pros are expected to be upgraded with Merom chips early in September. Some rumours say the 5th of September.

Leopard is expected some time in the spring of 2007 according to Steve Jobs recent WWDC keynote. It will very likely be a $129 upgrade. Check current prices for Tiger on the online educational apple store to see if there are educational discounts.
 

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
18,113
1,319
5045 feet above sea level
I would get it now, that is what I ended up doing. Besides when leopard comes out you can get it for 70 bucks (since you are a student) I believe which isn't all that much.

I think the macbook won't be updated in a while and I believe most others will agree with me on that since it just came out like 3 months ago.

Plus, a free ipod if you do it now....how sweet is that!
 

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
1,361
0
your a student, get it now. i never got why people waited, its pointless. i got a macbook pro, if new ones come out in paris, i really don't care. the ppw will be worse, and they will have about 10% more speed. who cares? if you dont need it NOW, there is no reason not the wait the few weeks until paris, this is an apple "event" and so you may just see an upgrade. if you do need something soon, just get it- if a better one comes out, who cares? when you upgrade in a year or two, you'll get all of the upgraded features and more. not to sound like nike, but just do it.
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
3,568
95
appleintelrock said:
your a student, get it now. i never got why people waited, its pointless. i got a macbook pro, if new ones come out in paris, i really don't care. the ppw will be worse, and they will have about 10% more speed. who cares? if you dont need it NOW, there is no reason not the wait the few weeks until paris, this is an apple "event" and so you may just see an upgrade. if you do need something soon, just get it- if a better one comes out, who cares? when you upgrade in a year or two, you'll get all of the upgraded features and more. not to sound like nike, but just do it.
Agreed! My thoughts exactly
 

hansoffate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
14
0
Thanks so much for your input (esp AppleIntelRock and dukebound).

I have decided to go to campus on monday or whenever my parents give me the last 200 dollars I need and buy a 2.0 white macbook.

Thanks for the input, and I'm sorry to the first two posts for not searching.
-Hans
 

tingly

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
277
0
The thought i always come back to is "faster computers don't help me type faster."
 

mini.boss

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2006
59
0
tingly said:
The thought i always come back to is "faster computers don't help me type faster."
True. but cooler, quieter and more feature packed computers make the experience much better. Its been long enough that a less problematic revision b is due. And while waiting for leopard may be hard to justify, the $130 upgrade price is something we'd all like to avoid.
 

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
1,766
2,267
NYC
Get it now, and you can get an iPod with it for free. I doubt the MB will get significantly bumped in Sept. I wager the MBP will get a major boost, though.
 

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
3,342
2
Washington, DC
meanpeoplesuck said:
Is there any way to know when the Rev B might be released?
Yes, work directly under Steve Jobs, or for the marketing department, or as a grunt manufacturer in China, and you MIGHT get a hint of something...
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I'm waiting as well, but not sure if the MacBooks will be upgraded soon enough.

The big question is whether Apple is planning to upgrade ALL their notebooks
to 64 bit Merom processing any time soon or if they will only offer Merom in the MacBook Pro.


I NEED 2 MacBooks soon for my daughters, so this is important.

Right now the best deal certainly is the 2.0 MacBook Refurb for $1099.00
 

ibilly

macrumors regular
May 2, 2003
248
0
Boulder
Apple rarely JUST speedbumps, but not even that will happen, Ghz wise.

The new chips will be at the exact same clock speeds and prices as the current ones (Core 2 vs Core) so the only upgrade would be in the architecture, which gets you an extra 10-15%.

While that's pretty good if you look at it in a certain light (a 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo will be about as fast as a 2.2-2.30Ghz Core Duo), it's not huge, but more like a free upgrade to the next-highest cock speed.

Back tho what apple often does, they normally do a number of little tweaks, like making an option standard (wireless on ye olde 12" Powerbooks) or adding something that's 'nice' but not earth moving, like the sudden motion sensor, or the backlit keyboard.

However, the current models are actually stuffed full of goodies, so it's hard to say what Apple will do. Your choice, but all things considered, it is probably a good plan to just get the model currently available now that is most right for you.
 

fastlane1588

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
97
0
florida
DTphonehome said:
Get it now, and you can get an iPod with it for free. I doubt the MB will get significantly bumped in Sept. I wager the MBP will get a major boost, though.
what do you mean by a major boost? do u mean just the new merom 64 bit chips?
 

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
528
34
I'd also look at the Apple Developers Connection. Students can join for $99, get a deeper discount on hardware than the regular student discount, and possibly get a free upgrade to Leopard in spring.

Why are these questions always asked?? :confused:
 

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
1,361
0
hansoffate said:
Thanks so much for your input (esp AppleIntelRock and dukebound).

I have decided to go to campus on monday or whenever my parents give me the last 200 dollars I need and buy a 2.0 white macbook.

Thanks for the input, and I'm sorry to the first two posts for not searching.
-Hans
First off, the people who rudely said you should have searched before you posted need to chill out. You’ll find the majority of people here are very nice (yes, I know what your thinking, my account says “newbie” well I’ve been here a while, and recently created a new account for a few reasons, I’ve paid my 25 bucks and one paypal verifies, I’ll have my Demi-God) Anyhow, don’t worry about them. I would however like to make one recommendation. First off if you like the black you should be able to find a refurb for the price of the white macbook (but you are a student and because of your discount it may be difficult to find one) I myself like the white ones, and it seems you’ve picked a very capable machine! Congratulations!
 

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
304
0
The thing is people are VERY sick and tired of seeing should I wait or should I buy now?

consensus says: if you need it now, get it now, if not and you can wait then wait.

you probably won't notice much difference until "Santa Rosa" comes out.

Also if you don't need the iPod you can go through any third party and get a macbook for even cheaper.
 

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
15,307
25
Right side of wrong
Steve Jobless said:
The thing is people are VERY sick and tired of seeing should I wait or should I buy now?

consensus says: if you need it now, get it now, if not and you can wait then wait.

you probably won't notice much difference until "Santa Rosa" comes out.

Also if you don't need the iPod you can go through any third party and get a macbook for even cheaper.
i agree......and if i were you, i'd get the ipod :)
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
3,568
95
All these threads make me want to hang myself and whether I should have chosen the MB over the MBP!
 

fastlane1588

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
97
0
florida
viccles said:
All these threads make me want to hang myself and whether I should have chosen the MB over the MBP!
Thats a bit harsh! Just ask yourself, without thinking about the other computers out there, are you happy with what you have now? If so then dont worry about what else is out there untill you need a new one.
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
3,568
95
fastlane1588 said:
Thats a bit harsh! Just ask yourself, without thinking about the other computers out there, are you happy with what you have now? If so then dont worry about what else is out there untill you need a new one.
Yes yes I am! I have to stop reading some of the MR threads on here LOL
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Actually the BEST all around solution is still a 17"iMac AND a 2.0 Ghz MacBook.
(I'd hold for Merom's or a single dual core Xeon iMac.)

Macbook 2.0 Refurb $1099.00
17" iMac core Duo $1199.00(edu)

You just have to budget for RAM