Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pluckie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2005
I sold my iBook G4 in anticipation of the macbook last December. I have a PowerMac G5 and have been planning on getting a macbook for school. However, by the time they released them the school year was pretty much over. So, now I am currently trying to figure when to buy one...

School starts mid September. I could buy one now with the iPod deal (or on amazon). All I really need is the low end model. Is there any reason to wait? I don't think we'll see an update in August. Would it be worth it to wait for leopard in december (or is it jan?)?

What I would really like is for them to get rid of the black premium... Do you think there's any chance of that? I'd love a low end black macbook...

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Just buy it, I don't think there's any reason to wait. Another release is going to take a while.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
SamIchi said:
Just buy it, I don't think there's any reason to wait. Another release is going to take a while.

yeah, i`ll second that. MB have just released. I dont see an upgrade before Nov06 at best. It might just be Jan 07 before we get next revision of MacNooks IMHO.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
vikas soni said:
yeah, i`ll second that. MB have just released. I dont see an upgrade before Nov06 at best. It might just be Jan 07 before we get next revision of MacNooks IMHO.
However, if you can wait that long, you'll probably get a macbook with Leapord and a major lacking of problems (mooing, whine, etc)
That's what I'm doing.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
My only hesitation right now would be the yellowing of the palm rests. It seems like many people are having this happen and it is apparently not reversible. This of course wouldn't affect the black model

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Just get it now with the free printer and ipod promotion. You cant go wrong...especially if your just getting the baseline. My mom just ordered a macbook, with the printer and ipod deal (im getting the ipod :D )

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
thejadedmonkey said:
However, if you can wait that long, you'll probably get a macbook with Leapord and a major lacking of problems (mooing, whine, etc)
That's what I'm doing.

It appears that about 3/4s of us who bought the Rev A MacBooks have experienced no issues, and stand at the ready for Leopard in January. In the meantime, we'll be enjoying these lovely machines, thank you.

Buy it. If it has an issue, swap it. If you are really concerned, just buy it at your local Apple Store.

Vroom vroom!

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
netdog said:
It appears that about 3/4s of us who bought the Rev A MacBooks have experienced no issues, and stand at the ready for Leopard in January. In the meantime, we'll be enjoying these lovely machines, thank you.

My guess says atleast 19out20 people dont have issues with MB. And as far as satisfaction is concerned, I m sure more than 99% MB owners are satisfied with their MBs even if it has a couple of issues or not. Nnone of the Mb issues are really major. And incase something really bothers you, then simply swap it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
swindmill said:
My only hesitation right now would be the yellowing of the palm rests. It seems like many people are having this happen and it is apparently not reversible. This of course wouldn't affect the black model

:confused: :confused: :confused: This is the first i've heard of this.

The palm rests are the same as on the ibooks and don't discolor very easily at all... and if they do, Mr. Clean's magic eraser fixes 'em. :)

vikas soni said:
My guess says atleast 19out20 people dont have issues with MB. And as far as satisfaction is concerned, I m sure more than 99% MB owners are satisfied with their MBs even if it has a couple of issues or not. Nnone of the Mb issues are really major. And incase something really bothers you, then simply swap it.

I think 19 out of 20 problem-free is wishful thinking. But I absolutely agree with the second part of your statement. My macbook has a very quiet processor whine, but I'm extremely satisfied with it anyway. It's still probably the best mac I've ever owned (for the time)

Pluckie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2005
MattyMac said:
Have you bought it yet??...what are you waiting for go do it!!!

Thanks for all the responses. I'm thinking I'll probably order one in the next few weeks. All I have to do is decide if I'm going to bite the bullet and get the black one...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.