Macbook Buying Advice for a High School Student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Islander, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Islander macrumors newbie

I'm fifteen and in my eleventh year in high school. I've been dying to buy a Macbook for at least a year now but only this summer did I work so that I'm actually able to afford one. I'm just wondering now when to buy one. I know that new Macbooks are coming in the next several weeks so I'll wait at least that long. But as the release of Snow Leopard approaches I'm not sure if I should hold off until then. I'm also curious as to when updates to the iLife or iWork suites are expected as I intend to use both fairly heavily. Would I have any issues updating to Snow Leopard from Leopard or will it run just as smooth?

I also have questions as to where you would you would recommend purchasing it. I can get a student discount through family members so would the Online Store be my best option?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mr$Whale macrumors member

There will always be something better than whatever you buy. Just like if you buy the latest model of a car, within 9-12 months there's going to be a newer one with better specs. No word on iLife as far as I know, but what is currently offered should be fine for your needs, considering you 'intend' to use it (not a pointed question but have you used iLife before?). I'd say whatever you decided to buy will be fine. You can always upgrade to Snow Leopard if you really want to, but you can cross that bridge when you come to it (I'm currently running Tiger, so I'm a bit behind myself).

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Snow Leopard won't be out until about another year. The new MacBooks, no one knows, about a month is the latest rumor. Apple never confirmed them and we have no idea what they'll have.