MacBook Buying Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boombox15, Jun 17, 2013.

1. boombox15 macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

I am in the market for a new laptop. My current laptop is a Mid 2010 17 inch MacBook Pro that runs ok, but not as fast as a 2013 computer could. So, with apple only updating the MacBook Air last week, this makes it even harder to decide. I will say that I need it to last at least 3 months because no matter what computer I pick, I will sell it when the new Retina MacBook Pro comes out so if new Retina MacBook Pro's are coming in the July-August timeframe, I may end up just waiting. But here are the things I will do on the computer.

Use all of the pre-loaed apps
    Download more from the Mac App Store
    Use iPhoto for storing and editing photos
    Use iMovie for editing and making movie projects
    Make lots of documents in Pages, Keynote and Numbers
    Edit photographs in Aperture

Now, I have several configurations in mind, here they are:

11 inch MacBook Air 512GB Flash Storage, 1.7GHz Dual-Core i7 Processor 8GB RAM
    13 inch MacBook Air 512GB Flash Storage, 1.7GHz Dual-Core i7 Processor 8GB RAM
    13 inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display 512GB Flash Storage, 3.0GHz Dual-Core i7 Processor, 8GB RAM

So, I have several pros and cons about each computer

MacBook Air Pro's: New Haswell chips, much longer battery life, faster graphics, 802.11ac Wi-Fi support

MacBook Air Con's: No Retina display, not sure if it can handle Aperture photo editing but I feel like upgarding the RAM and the processor should help

MacBook Pro Pro's: Stunning Retina Display, Faster Processor, Can handle Aperture photo editing

MacBook Pro Con's: Still using Ivy Bridge processors, 7 hour battery life that is nowhere near the new MacBook Airs battery life, No 802.11ac Wi-Fi support, Still using Intel HD Graphics 4000

So, what computer should I buy? Also, does anyone think we will see Haswell Retina MacBook Pro's debut in the July-August Timeframe? Or would it be in the September-October timeframe whitch is also when OS X Mavericks will come out so that makes some sense. I just don't want to buy now and sell it in less than a month! Your advice helps me out a lot!!! Thank you!!!

2. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

3. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

If you're going to sell the computer whenever the new rMBP comes out, why does it matter which one you get now? I would have thought the MBA's could handle Aperture.

But with your listed configs, I'd probably go with the 13 rMBP since you seem to value the retina display. Second choice would be the 13 MBA and would just disregard the 11 MBA as an option.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I don't see the point of upgrading the proc on an MBA or 13" rMBP. If you are looking for power then get a 15" rMBP. The upgraded proc on the 13" isn't goint to get you all that much speed gain for the $ you'll be spending and you won't get your money out of the upgrade when you go to sell. And Aperture is more GPU than CPU intensive. Stick with the i5. It's pretty good. Save the $ you'd have spent for the upgrade for your next machine.

Also 512GB is a bit overkill at Apple's prices. I have 256GB on my rMBP w PS CS4, Aperture, and Office. You learn to better manage plus store a lot more stuff in the cloud. Also store photos and edit video on a portable USB3 drive. More $ saved for a new machine a couple years down the road.

5. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

I am not intersted in the 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro because it is not very portable compared to the 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro. That's why I am either getting an 11 inch MacBook Air or a 13 inch MacBook Air or Retina Pro. Upgrading the processor would help because benchmarks show a nice improvement when upgrading the processor. And, I would upgrade to 512GB because I store everything on the computer and back it up to a time capsule. But this does not tell me WHAT computer to buy, out of the 3 configurations that I listed. I need to know what computer is the best for my needs and what upgrades I need to do. I really wish the Retina MacBook Pro's were upgraded with Haswell processors and battery life and 802.11ac Wi-Fi. I can't decide what computer to get because the pro is not as new as the air. And if Haswell Retina MacBook Pro's are actully coming in the July-August timeframe I may wait. Will we see Haswell Retina MacBook Pro's during this summer or in the fall along with the lauch of OS X Mavericks? Thanks!!! And, what computer is best for my needs of the 3 configurations I listed above?

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I think you answered the question yourself. If you are looking for portability then MBA it is. The 13" rMBP is 20% heavier.

If you want to sacrifice some portability for power then wait for the Haswell 13" sometime between now and Sep.

7. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

I would disregard the 13" MBA altogether 'cause if your going for a 13" the rMBP is a much better machine. I love both my rMBP and MBA, together they are a formidable combination.

8. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

I know, I love the 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro but it was not updated last week. If I don't get that computer, then I feel like I would be missing out on a lot of new features such as the Haswell Processors, 9-12 hour battery life, faster flash storage and 802.11ac Wi-Fi. That's why I am not sure what to get. Is the new MacBook Air's new features really worth it?

9. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

Both options are very portable but it's just a MacBook Pro that has a processor that is one generation behind and doesn't have as good of battery life as the MacBook Air does and does not have 802.11ac Wi-fi Support. But I could get an air and use it until the Haswell Retina MacBook Pro's come out. The air has the newest processors, amazing battery life and support for 802.11ac Wi-Fi. I don't know how to decide. It's going to be hard. But I think I will make the right choice but I could really use some advice and also what upgrades to do since it can't be upgraded after purchase.

10. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

I'm guessing that you have only got 4GB RAM and a 5400rpm HDD. If so that's why your computer is slow. Both problems are easily fixed in the uMBP for very little money.

Best option IMO:

1. Take your current laptop up to at least 8GB - $45
    2a. If you can get away with 256GB add an SSD - $165
    2b. If you need 500GB+, add a hybrid drive - $135

For $200 or less you can solve your speed issue and keep your 17" of screen real estate and PCMCIA card slot. You will forego Thunderbolt and USB 3, but that's really not that big a deal.

___

11. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

I know, but I am in need of a new laptop anyway. As in matter in fact, I did upgrade to 8GB of RAM at the time of purchase back in May of 2010 when I bought it. I bought a new 21.5 inch iMac in January 2013 and that computer is amazing. I need a new laptop, either the 11 inch or 13 inch MacBook Air or a 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro, because only the air was updated, that makes it even harder to decide. I just wish some people on here could tell me what computer and what upgrades to do and why. Also, I am looking for a small compact computer, not a huge computer so that's why I am trying to decide between a 11 inch or 13 inch MacBook Air or a 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro.

12. B... macrumors 68000

B...

13" Air. Will handle Aperture just fine and has all the aforementioned pluse.

13. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

B,

Should I upgrade the processor to 1.7GHz or keep it at 1.3GHz? I know that for sure I am upgrading the RAM to 8GB because that is great for multitasking. And 512GB of flash storage.

Would the i7 steal battery power because it draws more power? Would it be a lot of battery life lost or just a little bit of battery life? \

Thanks!

14. B... macrumors 68000

B...

There are a few threads about this over in the Air forum, but the general consensus is that since they have the same TDP (power draw), difference is minimal. Present, but relatively small.

15. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

I have heard that the New MacBook Air is having Wi-Fi issues. Is anyone else seeing that? If this is an issue, I may have to end up getting the 3.0GHz 512GB Flash Storage and 8GB RAM 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro.

Still looking for more advice on what computer to get.

Also, I do have a small interest in the 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro.

16. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

well even i will be going in for the new ones, my current cMBP is giving loads of issues and tends to run slow at times 8gb ram 750gb stock hdd.
    My plan is to hold on to the current one since i have already spent 18 months with it, once thats out sell it and buy the new ones.

But since you need one right now and portability is your main concern MBA is what you should look at.
    a bit of comparison with the new mba and current retina 13"
    The mba air has the newer intel hd5000 vs the retinas hd4000
    Better battery life so much more true portability.
    video and photo editing juices the battery.
    The top configured mba should come near the base retina 13"

I would go in for the MBA. About the wifi issues I've read about. Lets just hope apple gives a fix for it.

We cant say when the refresh ones would come out, I just hope its in July/August as if its any later then i would have to plonk cash into the laptop and a new mac pro:D

17. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE: Today, I went to my local Best Buy store to look at all of them. I could not decide what one to buy but I have since narrowed down my options. The 11 inch MacBook Air is nice, but I can't get it because it has no SD card slot and I pretty much need that for my photo needs.

Here are my new options

13 inch MacBook Air 1.3 or 1.7GHz, 8GB RAM, 512GB Flash Storage
    13 inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display 2.6 or 3.0GHz, 8GB RAM, 512GB Flash Storage
    15 inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display 2.7GHz,16GB RAM,512GB Flash Storage

So, now that I have narrowed down my options, what computer is the best for me?

18. xnview, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

xnview macrumors member

Well the 15" is without doubt the best one in every parameter except portability and battery life.

Between the 13" MBA and the 13" rMBP I don't think you would feel any difference in fastness, and what program they can run. The portability is more or less the same when you fit them in a bag, except the rMBP I slighter heavier.
    The real difference is the screen compared to the battery life. I would rather have a stunning screen than a longer battery life, because let's face it, 7 hours are a pretty long time to be working on.

If you think the 15" is portable enough and you can spend the money I would recommend that for sure, but if you don't think it's portable enough and/or think it's too much money regarding a computer you'll just have for a maximum of 5-6 month, I think you should definitely go for the 13" rMBP

PS. I think they'll release the new MBP in September-October, it would make more sense regarding release of the next OS