Macbook buying advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mleibowi, Feb 21, 2008.

1. mleibowi macrumors member

I'm a graduate student that is allocated 2,000 dollars for "educational enrichment" that needs to be used by August 2008. I've been a PC person my whole life, but I've recently saw the light, and I'm becoming a macaphile. The macbook is in midcycle, and I have about 150 days until I need to use the money. Do you think Apple will update the macbook within 150 days? Furthermore, will it be worth the wait? A new computer is a want, not a need. Thanks!

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

According to the Buyer's Guide, the Macbook was updated 112 days ago and the average update is 199 days. There will probably be some sort of update before you need to spend the money.

Whether it will be a significant update is questionable.

If you don't mind waiting a couple of months, it might be worth it, if you're anxious to get started, now's the time.

3. NipponRob macrumors newbie

"Educational Enrichment?"

Just a question for you since I may be a grad student soon. How does "educational enrichment" money work? Is it part of a loan or grant package? I'm planning on getting a MBP soon, but may just get a used one for the time being. If you have any information about how it works, I would greatly appreciate it.

Feel free to pm me so as to not take the thread off topic too much.

Thanks.

4. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

I would say if you don't need a new computer which it seems you don't then wait. I just bought a new MB and am very happy with it but I was in the need a new computer stage.

I don't think you will see a complete re-design but who knows. I wouldn't have guessed that imac would go aluminum.

So in conclusion you will most likely see an update whether minor or significant in 150 days BUT if you do need/want to buy now the MB are a great value and I highly recommend.